Customization Question: Sandberg Bridge 5 vs Hipshot Bass Bridge A/B

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pcmkr929, Nov 18, 2019.

1. pcmkr929

pcmkr929

Nov 18, 2019
    Hey guys,

I want to customize my MTD Kingston Heir 5 Bass guitar and I wanted to ask for any experience using the Bridges named in the title. I know that the default MTD Bridge is also produced by Hipshot, but the Sandberg Instruments are very nice, too and it seems like it is the same bridge they use in their models and it´s half of the price of a Hipshot bridge.

I appreciate all kinds of ideas and thoughts on this topic.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    So are you doing this just to make the bass look different? If so, that's cool. But, otherwise, don't expect a lot. My experience is that either of the two you are considering are going to function as well as the one currently installed.

pcmkr929 likes this.
  3. pcmkr929

pcmkr929

Nov 18, 2019
    Hello,

I dont do it for the looks, its for sound reasons only.
    I love the sound of the bass but I have the feeling there is some touch of thickness missing.
    Since I tried out quite every kind of strings available for me I thought maybe the bridge can be a solution.. but I think it would alter the sound of the bass too much?

4. No. There are no magic answers in changing bridges, and I'd be slow to second-guess Mike Tobias.

As always, remember Your Sound = Bass + (Effects if Any) Amp. Bridges seldom make as big a difference as pickups or a different amp. I wouldn't even think of this until you try your bass thru several different amps and see it you find that 'thickness'.

pcmkr929 likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Keep your money then. Then only tone difference from a bridge swap is the one your imagination will put on the money you spent.
    Changing bridge can be for aesthetics, weight, preferences in string load and various adjustments. The difference in tone is so minimal that it will easily be mimiced by moving a knob on the preamp or amp.

pcmkr929 likes this.
  6. pcmkr929

pcmkr929

Nov 18, 2019
    Thanks for your reply =)

I think I wont change the bridge then since I love the sound of the bass itself, I will try out some different pickup settings e.g. height adjustments, maybe I can change something with this

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021