1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cutting Down a Road Case

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by twocargar, Oct 11, 2013.

1. I got a screaming deal on a road case that will fit my doubleneck. Since the instrument is a one-off, and an unusual shape, my options for cases were limited to having one custom made for a couple hundred dollars or finding one that would fit.

The one I found for $50 is good, but a little on the gigantic side. It could be shorter by a few inches in length and depth, so it would fit in my Civic. :)

My question is, has anyone shortened a road case before? I'm a handy, DIY guy, so I figured I could cut the aluminum corner pieces, drill out the rivets & redo them, and cut the panels down to fit.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Never have, but it sounds like you have a good handle on it. I'd love to see progress pics... I have a huge case myself, and have thought about modding it and using it, rather than letting it collect dust in my garage!

3. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    Did this many years ago to make an AC30 road case fit a Matchless 2x10. Was not terribly difficult... just time consuming if you want to make it look nice, etc. I bought a rivet gun for that project, and have not used it since.