1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Da Gamba EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by quee, Nov 21, 2006.

1. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
    I've been playing a hybrid upright bass called a Da Gamba made in Poland by Krzysztof Kania it's a beautifully made instrument which has enough acoustic volume to practice with and the electric tone is very close to a full size double bass.
    You can see it in the link below.
    http://kaniaguitars.com/i2/kontrabas/da_gambaang.htm
    I have a slightly older model thatn the one pictured in the link so I don't have the shadow pickup. I use a revolution solo.
    The combination of the instrument with this pickup has a very natural tone, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    cheers Quee

2. Very very nice look!
    Thanks!

3. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What's list price on this thing?

4. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kolstein Busetto LaFaro Model Travel Bass Violin
    Made in the shop of Kolstein Music & Son, Inc. c. 2005

Looks very similar to the Kolstein Bass

5. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't actually know the current price as I bought mine second-hand some time ago. I think the Da Gamba used to be about 1300euro so it is probably a bit more than that now.
    cheers Quee

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the kolstein one looks very nice, and since it's coming from the kolstein shop i'm sure it's of high quality, but why is the string length 39 inches? it seems that all other ebu makers, who are not trying to emulate a bass guitar, come in at around 41.5 in order to appeal to upright players looking for a portable solution. it seems that's who kolstein is trying to appeal to, but i'd be hesitant to play it because it's so far off from my regular bass, whereas my messenger, and the eminence are an exact match string length wise, and therefore intonation is not as much of an issue...