1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 60's Bluesman, May 10, 2010.

1. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    ive heard lots of guys on here throw the name d'addario name around but ive never used them myself. im looking to get the 45-100's for my hollowbody bass. what do you guys think of them?

2. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    What do I think? I think you should use LaBella 760FL instead. Chromes sound good. LaBella's sound great. IMO, of course. Get them from Elderly Instruments, online.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I feel the exact opposite from Craig_S.

4. I put a set on my Rickenbacker 4003 several months back and love them. Just wipe them off really good before putting them on. They are real dirty.

5. one thing i can say is i've had one set on approx. 5 basses plus tuned flat as well as a whole step down and back up to standard,,,had some roundwounds on a used bass that i couldn't tune a step down without a super floppy E(?)

so all i know is they are reliable,feel great,save your frets,and i think well worth a try at least,,as for tone that's in the ear of the playa(and the EQ)

i intend to try some TI's next:D

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have them on 3 of my basses. Love 'em

7. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    dirty:eyebrow: how so? what did you clean them with?

8. Bass4Gsus

Bass4Gsus

Feb 13, 2010
    Deer Park NY
    I also feel the exact opposite from Craig_S

I prefer the D'Addario Chromes Flatwound.

I tried a bunch in a relatively short period of time, took notes (can't find them at the moment) and found I liked the D'Addario's the best.

My Carvin BB75P came with Carvin Flats, and I disliked them from the beginning, and I found out later that LaBella makes them for Carvin. Perfect blind test for me.

You need to try them yourself, because everyone has different tastes.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Be aware that La Bella no longer makes the flats for Carvin. The Carvin flats are now GHS Precision Flats.

10. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    GHS Precision flats and LaBella 760's are both somewhat smoother sounding than the Chromes. If you want warm and rich, stay away from the Chromes. If you want bite, it's Chromes all the way.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yet Mudfuzz has been able to get warm and rich with chromes for 18 years....

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I re strung my fretless jazz with the ECB81s (45-100) that it used to have, and love the way they sound. They're too *#%@ stiff for me though, coming from several sets of DR Sunbeams before that. If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the ECB80 (40-95) instead. It all depends on the feel that you're used to, though.

13. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Plain old rubbing alcohol with some paper towels works.

14. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I use Chromes and I can easily get smooth & warm with them; Or. . .. I can get a brighter tone with them if I want, all based on using my tone knob on my P bass. I believe the Chromes to be more of a universal flat than Labella, GHS, or Fender.

15. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    There are other threads on this but Ill say that I will never use another string. I love em.

16. +1 to both comments, and I'd add that different basses respond differently to different strings, so you may find you like them on some basses but not others. Experiment, find out what you like by trial and error.

17. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I am with Mudfuzz and Mastermold on this one; I might add that p/u type and location and your personal finger technique are going to have a major effect on the sound as well. I have TI Jazz flats on my Warwick Corvette fretless 5, Labella Deep Talkin' flats on my P-bass fretless 4 and Chromes on my fretted and fretless Birdsongs. They all sound good in their own environment. Too many variables going on for anyone to righteously answer your question. Experiment and find out for yourself; but, do not jump to conclusions. It takes time for a good flat to "zone in" IMHO.

18. randall p

randall p

Aug 14, 2009
    norwich, ct
    I have LaBella 760FM's on my VM Jazz and Chrome 100's on my MIM/waromth neck fretless jazz. Both sound great on each respective bass. But, I found the 100's to be short on tension, so gonna restring with 105's next time.

19. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have Chromes on my Cruise Bass, and love them. They're a bit zing-ier than most flats, which I like. You're tastes may vary.

I'd give them a try, as they're certainly less expensive than most flatwounds.

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    You must have kept the same set on for that long. Chromes are the second brightest flats made, as far as I can assess.

I've never had a nicer, warmer sounding flat, on my old Precision, than the LaBella's. Just listen to Pino's P-Bass tone (he uses them on most of the other basses, as well). Different strokes...