1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Flex Steels substitution

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eff-clef, Sep 7, 2017.

1. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Does anybody know of a string with The Flex Steel's qualities?
    I did not like the Dunlop Super Brights. They were too low tension.
    I had a hard time with the neck adjustments for action after using the Flex Steels.
    Plus, the mids were not similar.

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Have you tried the Marcus Miller version of the Super Brights? They said that these aren't as low tension as the regular SB.

I was going to replace the FlexSteels with Dunlop SB MM which I had already bought, but then I've managed to snatch few sets of FlexSteels available scattered here and there, online and offline market places. So, my gigging bass is still strung with the FlexSteels.

eriky4003 and eff-clef like this.
  3. eff-clef

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Me too! I'm afraid! I haven't tried the MM's in steel yet. YOU FIRST.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    hahaha... :laugh:

well of course one day I'll use the Super Brights Marcus Miller... I've bought a set already. But not sure whether they'll replace the FlexSteels, since I still have few sets of these. Maybe if I'll put them on if I could get another bass.

5. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I would try Dean Markley Blue steels. DM uses a smaller core wire and their string construction yields strings which are a bit more flexible. But not as flexible as DR roundcores or Dunlop Superbrights.

I have no idea how the overall tone compares, as I never used flex steels.

6. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I would give DR Fat Beams a try. Good tension yet flexible, great mid content and slightly smoother than Flex Steels.
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

eriky4003 likes this.
  7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I reverse-engineered a set of Flex Steels a while back. What I found is that, more or less, if you get a set of standard 30-50-70-90 steel strings (from ANYBODY), the core diameters are comparable to what the FS had.

Root 5 and Aidil like this.
  8. I love that term! I think I'm going to make it part of my everyday vocabulary as I have a strong tendency to irreversibly reverse-engineer a lot of things in life. ;):D:roflmao:

Root 5 and eff-clef like this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    the FlexSteels you were referring to were the 45-65-85-105?

10. eff-clef

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Thanks to all that responded so far. Keep the suggestions coming!

11. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    That's correct.

Aidil likes this.
  12. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    so, are there any GHS products inspired by that reverse-engineered thing that you did?

13. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Nope.

14. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I tried the flex and didn't think they were what I was looking for, Did try the marcus Dunlop and liked them better. But still I like the DR Hi Beams and the Fat Beams second.

eriky4003 likes this.
  15. Wsilva

Wsilva

Jan 22, 2015
    Well.... I hope D'addario comes back to their senses and recommence production. I have tried DR high beans, Dunlop SB and MM SBs. the only one close to it "in my opinion" is the "MM SB" with the one problem that it doesn't push MIDs like Flexsteels.

16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yes, it seems Dunlop Super Bright series are the closest in terms of the "Flex"-ibility to the FlexSteels. I haven't put my DBMMS 45125 on to the bass which I use with the FlexSteels just yet (Thank God, I haven't run out of my spare sets of FlexSteels), but these last few months I've been using DBSBN 45105 on my latest acquired bass and I'm pleased with them. And yes, they don't have the same tone as the FlexSteels.