1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hamerguy, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I usually don't post in this forum here, as I always used D'Addario nickle strings 0.45-1.05. But a few days ago I bought some new strings, D'Addario's but they were 0.45-1.00, with a thinner "A" and "E" string. I was told that this is now standard with D'Addario. Is that true?

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    EXL-160 are 45/65/80/100 and always have been. EXL-165 are 45/65/85/105 and always have been (well at least since they introduced that set). And EXL-170 are 50/70/85/105 and always have been.

D'Addario's light gauge bass strings (nickel XL series, stainless XLS, Half-Rounds HR, SHR, and NHR series) have always been (well, at least since around 1976 when I first got into retail music) 45/65/80/100. The medium gauges have always been 50/70/85/105. Their standard is a 0.020 increment between the G and D, and between the E and A with a 0.015 between the D and A. The set you're used to using is the light-top/heavy-bottom set, EXL-165 that's kind of new- they only introduced it around 1991 or so. It's 45/65/85/105.

Order by set number, not names. That'll avoid a LOT of confusion and problems.

John

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The 160s are 50-70-85-105 and the 170s are 45-65-80-100. But to your point, they have always been that way. D'Addario is one of the few that give you the choice.

5. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    Okay, thanks a lot. I guess this time the salesman (who's knowledge I usually appreciate) was telling me bogus...

6. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    You should stick with the gauge of string you previously had on your bass or you will need to bring her in to be re-setup.

BTW, without being there listening to the salesman, and taking in everything your saying about the salesman informing you the strings are standard, is obviously ********. I mean you can take a one second stroll to the website, without knowing anything about anything, and ascertain that DA has a million different choices for string gauges.

7. I didn't know there was one "standard" bass string gauge. Every new bass I pick up seems to have a slightly different gauge on it from the factory.

Salesman blowing smoke.

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Some brands have a different "standard gauge", its quite often the same, but sometimes differs. Slinkies standard gauge is quite large IIRC for one example. If you are put off buying these because they are not standard gauge, you shouldnt be. Dont be afraid about changing gauge either, its no big deal.

So like JTE said, go by numbers.

9. Definately-NUMBERS!!!!! Some called light are others meduim/lite w/ a heavy bottom. & heavy tops & bottoms are good with me ;-)