1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dan armstrong bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer45, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
  2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Read the history of how he developed these here: http://www.danarmstrong.org/

It's really interesting. The controls are really innovative too. The new QOTSA video features every member of the band playing Dan Armstrong guitars/basses. I doubt that's what was used on the recording, but they certainly LOOK cool in the video. I'd love to hear some sound clips.

3. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
    sweet thanks for the link i just went to the ga. music hall of fame yesterday and at the new r.e.m exhibit they had one that the dude form r.e.m played in the 80s

4. Earwigger

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I see them come up on Ebay from time to time, I'm sure SOMEONE here has one. Hint hint :) I'm curious as heck also.

5. Geezer Butler played one for a while in the early 70's. I don't think I've seen one since. If anyone remembers the famous "California Jam", he had it then.

6. How much is one of these basses going for now days?
    There is a shop down the street from me that has one...

7. I want one, they're just so cool!

alas, L&M here only has the guitar version.

8. Earwigger

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    About 800$ used is the running price now, by what I see. Some more, some less. Ampeg just came out with the reissue that clocks in at over 1000$, so the old ones are likely to go up in price a bit.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There are two minty originals in shops here in Chi-town, both are priced $1200 each with case.

GM

10. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
    awsome have you played it?

11. A buddy of mine had one of these back in the day. All I remember is it weighed A TON. Cool looking though.

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    His son Kent makes killer pickups! :hyper:

13. they'd look better without that shi**y looking pickguard, it'd be better in black

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    IIRC the originals were short scale 301/2"
    the reissues that came out in the 90's were 34"

15. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had one for several years back in the 70s.
    They are heavy.
    Nice tone, with the original PUP, which have a habit of cracking.

16. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

This bass is also freakin' heavy!

17. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
    yea well its still awsome!

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The music store I hung out at when a teen had one...it sounded pretty good as I recall, but what drove me nuts (even back then) about it was how close the strings were to the body...no digging in on that thing. Heavy, but no worse than an Alembic.

19. I should add that while Geezer Butler played one, it was not exactly his first choice. It seems one was conveniently available during a tour just after Canadian customs agents smashed up his Fender Precision. See interviews on his home page for the details. The remainder of that tour is probably the instrument's biggest claim to fame.

Still, they are a somewhat unique product of the lava-lamp decades and probably worth a bit to collectors. I remember asking myself ***? when I was trying to see what Geezer was playing on the televised version of California Jam. You can imagine that low res video back in the day just didn't show it up too well except in a few close shots. These were never really common even in the early 70's. Other Ampeg basses used by George Biondi of Steppenwolf and Rick Danko of The Band were more common but also rare.

20. Earwigger

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    There were two black ones made. I bet they're uber collector's items now.

Here's a link to the Queens of the Stone Age video in which Dan Armstrongs are being exclusively played:

http://www.qotsa.com/player/default.aspx?mid=310&bhcp=1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021