1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Danelectro Longhorn Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Jan 15, 2012.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Who used those? I heard Jack Bruce and Entwistle used it. other thoughts?

2. Bear_Bass

Bear_Bass

Dec 28, 2011
    Phil Lynott used a longhorn. Not sure if it was a danelectro but.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Joey Spampinato !

4. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Noel Redding
    Rinus Gerritsen (Golden Earring)
    Steve Priest (Sweet).

Steve Priest's was a Dynelectron, the Italian copy. I had one, once. It had pull-pots which cut in another set of caps for tonal variation.

5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    First one I ever noticed was on Shindig , the guy in the Shindogs played one .

6. The dude from Golden Earring. I think he may have recorded "Radar Love" with one.

Oops, just noticed that posted above.

7. c10

c10

Apr 10, 2005
    Naperville, IL
    Dave Edmunds is seen playing the 6 string longhorn on the vids for "Information" and "Slipping Away", no idea if he recorded with this.

8. cruzerjd

cruzerjd

Mar 1, 2009
    Tom Petty when he did the Traveling Wilburys with George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and whoever played drums with them. At least in the video for End of the Line. Kind of prophetic for orbison and later Harrison tho. Edit,,,can't forget Bob Dylan there too

9. Before anyone pipes up with the wrong information, Entwistle didn't use a Danelectro to record the 'My Generation' bass solo - he originally intended to but kept snapping the thin strings. As he was unable to buy replacement strings he had to buy new Danos instead. After about two or three attempts he gave up and ended up recording the solo on a Fender Jazz with LaBella flats. He also simplified the solo considerably.

I'm not sure if he used the Dano on any Who recordings but there are lots of clips of him using it around that time, both live and TV appearances.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Garry Tallent with Bruce Springsteen and later in Nashville sessions... Not a lot, but some...

Joey Spaminato (as mentioned previously) played many different 'Danelectro' variations, including a Longhorn, but mainly favored a dolphin nosed or DC shaped Neptune... Styllistically similar, and the guys just kills in every instance... one of my favorites!

Longhorns rock!!

-robert

11. Yes, that is a vintage Danelectro baritone guitar. Tuned either B to b or A to a, it's not quite a Bass VI. He rocked the hell out of that thing on almost every track on that album, playing twangy rockabilly leads. But not bass lines.

12. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    My instructor plays an old longhorn. Says he scared to change the strings..afraid the whole thing will fall apart. It really has a nice tone!

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    He didn't, that iconic bassline was recorded with a Gibson EB3. Because the dano was an intonation nightmare and much of the early Earring recordings had terrible off-key bass lines because of that.

14. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Golly. The "simple" version is considered one of sickest bass solos ever. I'd be almost afraid to hear his "complicated" version!

mattbass6945 likes this.
  15. Larry Boothroyd - Victims Family

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Nope, it was a Dano Longhorn 6-string bass(E-E).
    f3800bed-5ab3-4f86-97bd-ea59dc63b86f-0.

Don't forget the guy from Shocking Blue.
    shockingblue.
    Jack.
    longhornjb.
    Noel.
    longhornnoelr-1.
    Tom.
    longhorntp.
    John.
    65_richmond-longhorn.
    Phil.
    pl-1.

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Bruce Thomas -

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yep, when I saw EC&TA in the 90s, Bruce played a Jerry Jones Longhorn.

19. Bunyo

Bunyo

Jan 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Larry is not playing on Dano, but on luthiers bass from Bay Area whose name is Surles. It looks like Longhorn but is probably better.

20. Jump to 2:50 to hear how it was originally supposed to go. Why he couldn't play it on a Jazz is beyond me!

The Who - My Generation [Live] - YouTube

Actually, watch the whole thing, it's great!