1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

darker string with stark tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brooklynbassguy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Can anybody recommend a dark, orchestral string similiar to spirocore starks in tension?

2. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    G and D Flexocore 92 mediums
    A and E flexocore originals

A very dark and powerful setup, similar in tension to spiros, but COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in just about any other way, more bowable, not quite as bombastic but still with lots of fundamental.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You might want to go with Flex Starks to more closely match the Spiro Starks in tension.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Agreed. I like a bit less tension so I use the mediums, but if you're used to starks, I'd recommend Flex 92 Starks

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I thought someone would mention Jargars. Oh Francois....

6. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    A second to Ray's recommendation for Flexocor 92 starks. I mostly played Spiro mediums until trying the Flexs. To me, they felt stiffer than Spiros, and I almost gave up on them, but I've stuck with them and I love them. Ray and Ken have given some excellent information about Flexocors in Ken's sticky and in the 'Flex 92' thread.

7. They're indeed very dark, but I don't find them much high tensioned.
    The Flex '92 top / Original Flex bottom combo suggestion was my choice too.

8. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I have a set of original flatchromes, which is the same as original flexocor? I like the sound on the stick, but they don't feel as stiff as the spiro starks...:meh:

9. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Well it seems the strings that sound closest on my Zeta to my DB with spirocore starks are spirocore starks. The Zeta tends to be a dark sounding EUB. I'll update as they break in.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    For me with the Bow the full set of Stark 92s Flex is the best. The Orig Flex is a bit brighter and does not Bow as smoothly. They are smooth but not as smooth. Also, depending on your Bass, eveness within the color of the Tone is also important.

I had Starks on my Loveri and reg 92s on my newly aquired Bisiach. The Bisiach is a stronger healthier Bass so today I swapped the two sets on these Basses. The results were great. The Bisiach is louder and deeper than before. The Loveri was very tight and now with reg Flex 92s the sound has opened up. Remember that with many older Basses, the extra tension can also 'choke' the sound of the Top rather than help it. In that case, if the 'E' is too soft in the 92 set, just switch it to the Stark 'E'. I have used all the above mentioned sets on about 8 high quality Bass both new and old. If you know your Bass, you can estimate what to put on it.