Darkglass ADAM vs. Alpha Omega Photon

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by archisland, Dec 27, 2021.

1. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Did a video comparison between the Aggressively Distorting Advanced Machine and the Alpha Omega Photon!

Be warned, it’s a bit nerdy! :D

Hope that it’s helpful to someone!

2. SpacemanBassman

SpacemanBassman

Apr 13, 2007
    Hawai'i
    Thanks for posting this. Helpful indeed

archisland likes this.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I watched the entire video. This helped me understand why I knew in 2 seconds that I wasn't keeping the ADAM, and why I love the Photon.

The ADAM's "character" makes me want to remove that artificial "warmth" (which would be great in some settings, but isn't what I want right now), and adding back in some mids that seem to disappear. The ADAM is also pretty completely a distortion pedal, and while it sounds great when I hear somebody else, that generally doesn't work for me.

The Photon mainly leaves me subtracting some mids to get to the tone I want. It benefits from a little bit of low end boost, but I've found that the cab sims take care of that. I prefer to subtract EQ, although I'm not bashful about boosting if that helps things. I find the Alpha channel to be more of an overdrive, so it can get fairly clean, breaking up more if I dig in more.

My two other takeaways from the video:
    1. In the "my sound" section, the ADAM was dialed in to sound more like a Photon, and the Photon was dialed in to get closer to an ADAM sound. Interesting.
    2. I really need to play with that studio setting. So far, I've mainly been recreating the sounds I get with my AO Ultra. The key difference between the Ultra and the Photon, for me, are the drive-only cab sims. They give you some additional EQ control over the drive sounds and can tame the brittle/harsh sounds the pedal can have when running direct.

archisland likes this.
  4. Ander87

Ander87

Nov 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Just resucitating to say not enough people have thanked you for this video haha!

Great content - for me, I briefly had the AOP and felt it was too clanky and too metal-ly - I play punk-rock and do quite hi gain sounds for the genre; I had maxed out the distortion on the B7k and wanted more... and the AO is too much metal to my taste... I'm gonna give a shot to an ADAM that I've found pretty cheap (almost half price( since I do use fuzz too in some points and allegedly it's a more vintage cut...