Dave mathews band new cd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by eric atkinson, May 10, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys i just want to see what ya think of it? I just bought it so i need to listen to it a few times to get a good feel for it. But my first responce was what happend to Carter? Some of the drums on this new cd just sound like drum machine! But keep in mind i am a old school dmb fan! My fav cds are still under the table and crash. I have had the thought since everyday that they need to toss the key board player out of a high window.
  2. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    I preordered and its still not here but I have heard all the clips and I am in total support for it. I love how the band grows and continually develops "their" sound. They really do love what they do and it show. I also happen to love what Butch brings to the songs. He adds a whole new level to Two Step. Live hes a powerhouse. But thats just me. Anyway I love the new thing. I think Carter will end up changing all the beats live. If it bothers you too much just get a bunch of the live shows this summer.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's "old Skool DMB"?
    ...how 'bout Remember Two Things & Recently? ;)

Per your review, that's too bad about Carter's drumming on this album.
    DMB would be a totally different band without Carter being Carter.

I probably mentioned this before-
    Carter, Tim Reynolds & Butch Taylor all used to play in a Richmond-based Fusion band called Secrets.
    Keith Horne was the bassist; Dane Bryant, still with Clint Black(?), was the other keyboardist.
    Whenever they played the bars around here, a couple bucks cover charge would put you 3 feet away from the stage.
  4. I'm listening to it right now- it's very much COMPLETELY different from their other records. For one thing, keys are all over it, in organ and piano form. I'm finding myself strangely drawn to it in a very different way than their last few albums.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm enjoying it. My favorite tune so far is "Out Of My Hands". I love the steady drum beat in the background.

I still need to listen to it a little more before I can judge it better.
  6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah well i live in a small town in southern missouri so hard core dave is under the table and dreaming!LOL But yeah i do love the first two as well but thought the recording got a little better with under! My thought on dave is i always thinked of them as having the strongest rythem section in the radio band group. Carter and Steffan just click like no other and now it just doesnt blow me away like it did years ago. I dont know maybe i am alone on this one! :eyebrow:
  7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Ohh man i just had a horrible thought!!! I bet the drummer i jam with will just give up on them after this cd... He hated and i had to hear about it for months how bad he hated everyday saying what happend to Carter.. Now he really will wonder.
  8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah, butch IS a monster live. I can remember one particular Hammond B3 solo on "Live in Central Park" that is just amazing. Nothing to complicated, but really funky, and really cool.

I havent checked out the new cd, but am looking forward to it.
  9. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well even though Carter isn't as present on "Everyday" there is still some cool stuff like the pre chorus on "What you are".But I agree without Carter being Carter DMB will definitely suffer
  10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    My wife put it on in the car last night. I was pretty bored. Under the Table, Crash, and Everyday seemed much better to me.
  11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    I think i could teach my 6 year old how to play 85 oercent of the drums on this cd. The whole damn thing is sooo sad to me because more than i love to listen to steffan and the rest of the guys i love to listen to Carter do his work. He is a hero of mine in the drum world! And man i really cant stand the bass tone that steffan gets on this cd. I wish he would go back to the warwicks.
  12. Im a huuuuuge dmb fan and frankly im so disappointed.I can even find a song that i like, let alone love. No one shines on this album. On previous albums it was nothing but a work of art. This one eats it in my opinion.
  13. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    Just got mine and I love it. Sure its not the way they used to sound but quite frankly you cant say its not the DMB sound. Every album sounds different. Yeah this one does have a pretty keyboard heavy sound. The drums are pretty basic but if you know anything about this band they are not best judged by their album work. They really kick it live. I bet anything that Carter completely changes the whole thing live. This last tour during Hello Again Carter would always take a long ass solo. I bet that these songs kick ass live. Theres a video of Jassfest circulating and they play Stand Up, American Baby, and Louisiana Bayou and they dominate on every level. Just my thoughts though.
  14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i hate it compared to all the older dave stuff. it sounds too produced and electronic to me.
  15. pastypyro

Dec 4, 2004
    It was produced by a hip hop producer and he apparently sampled alot of individual grooves of whatever jams were going on at the time. It's an interesting approach, as I haven't had time to listen to the album completely, but it seems he may have killed alot of Carter's old style. I love the mood of the first song on the CD, the rest, like I said, I haven't had a chance to listen to yet.
  16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Sounds like carter has had one leg and one arm removed or somthing!!!!! Hey i am not saying that i wont like the cd. If i have never heard of them or this was the first cd i would go WOW this is cool. But its not like that at all, i know what these boys can do with music and it makes me sad as heck!! :crying:
  17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004

Then again, what'd you expect from the producer of Beyonce and 50 cent? I'm sad that the band doesn't have its natural "loosey-goosey" feel to it, know what I'm sayin'?
  18. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

It took a little while for me to warm up to Under the Table and Crash, as I was into differing genres at the time. I'm willing to give this one some time, but I absolutely agree with what you're saying. It definitely sounds heavily produced, multi-tracked, digitized, etc. I like the earlier albums because they sounded like an actual jam being recorded (regardless of whether they actually recorded simultaneously or not, that was the feel to me).

I think I'll shelve it and try listening again in a month or so, as they're a great band and worth the benefit of the doubt...
  19. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    WHAT?! Why would they have a guy like that produce them?!

I've heard about a random half of the new record - not happy.

Oh well.
  20. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i wasnt aware that he was the producer of those artists. pretty surprising that they would want to use that guy in the first place. i just hope they hope they play ANY of that new crap when i go see them in july.

i look at this album as a really drastic change. sure every album sounds different...but there was something about them where you would just know that it was DMB. i haven't listened to the whole cd yet but the only song that i remotely like is american baby. and thats pretty sad.

maybe it'll all grow on me. i had the same reaction to by the way from the chili peppers.