1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Eden WT800C Head - First day review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julian Don't, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Julian Don't

Julian Don't

Apr 26, 2010
    Just bought a David Eden WT800C Head for $2220 AUS.

Plugged into an 8ohm D410XLT cab.

So we were in the studio today setting up the right tone for the amp. We had it plugged into the one left channel which has a minimum ohm load of 2ohms @ 330 watts.

Got an awesome tone for about 2 minutes and next you know it the lights start flickering and the smell of smoke comes out!
    MY AMP JUST BLEW?! WTH.

Bi amp was not on, not bridged. Everything was pretty much flat.
    Not sure what happened but if anyone could please ease my mind that it wasn't my fault??

Cheers!

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Was the amp new or used?

Where did it come from (Was it shipped from the USA)?

Was there a voltage conversion needed for the amplifier, or was it already setup?

You mention that you have a *C* version, is it the new 800 C with lighted logo on the front?

3. Julian Don't

Julian Don't

Apr 26, 2010
    Hey mate

Yeah it was new straight out of the box from my work/aus supplier. Marked 240 Volts. C version with lighted logo.

4. assuming it was set for Aus voltage then it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong? you were using a speaker cable, not an instrument cable right?

5. Julian Don't

Julian Don't

Apr 26, 2010
    Yeap! Planet waves speaker cable! Guess it's just a faulty amp! will get it swapped over and give a proper review!

6. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Yes, send it back and get another one.

7. amelnick

amelnick Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    I went thru 3 new ones straight from the factory then just gave up. Quality is just not there. Bought a thunderfunk and never looked back! Get your money back and stay away from Eden.

8. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Glory days are long gone, I'm afraid. Get your money back and run...lots of good/great ams out there these days...that's NOT one of them.

Former Eden WT800 owner. That company screwed me SO bad on the disastrous 1205 I feel it's my DUTY to warn others about them.

Cheers,
    Cameron

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    refund and get your money back

if you are lucky, then you may find a B model in the classified

10. Get an old one for a fraction of $$$. They are great amps.

11. Julian Don't

Julian Don't

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up! The guys going to give me a new one. I will give this one the benefit of the doubt. If anything happens I will get something else!
    The real depressing part is that I just realised it's china made! That's sooo not cool given I'm paying $2000 for this thing new. Might just go ampeg!

12. fenderman45

fenderman45

Jun 17, 2014
    hi, new to the forum.... in defense of the eden wt800c, its 330 at 8 ohms. i have the same rig and run it 8 ohms bridged ( cab 700 watts rms, amp 880 watts bridged ) and never had a problem with it. usa 120 volts. the cab is rated 700 rms and you were running 330 watts, did you crank the amp and over heat it? also if its new eden gear you have to break it in before you crank it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  13. I haven't been paying much attention to new Eden gear for several years. I didn't know that the WT amps production was moved to China, too. Yet, the retail price stayed the same as when they were built in the USA?

14. I think your name says it all... Julian don't... Heed the words of the 'Eden heads' around here and return it and get something used at less than half the price that is USA made from the glory days ;) check out the ozbass forum classifieds or if you are prepared to ship from the USA look at the classifieds here on TB...

Edit: oh and if you like the Ampeg sound, check out the Aguilar TH 500, Amazon will ship to you in AUS... AUS RRP is a lot more but way within your budget.

Oh crap, Zombie thread ! Arrrrrrgh ! Fenderman45, four year old thread... why why ? ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  15. Three 800C's for me too. First one blew up mightily in the middle of a gig. Major smoke, destroyed one cab. Second one snap crackled and popped more than Rice Crispies. Third one just stopped making any noise. My local music store traded me up to a 1205 at almost no extra cost. When it started having strange crackles, I ditched it and went with a db750.

As the guys have said above, try to get a used 800B. There are still tons of them in the hands of backline companies around here - because they're stupid loud, and pretty much bullet proof. BTW, I still have my original 550B, which I will hang on to until I'm old and grey...er...wait a minute... I am old and grey... ;)