DAW questions-help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RS, Feb 20, 2006.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I recent bought a tascam DP-01, an 8 track DAW. When I plug my bass in, either directly to the unit thru the "guitar/bass" input, or into the mic input via a direct box, the bass is barely audible with the line gain knob 1/2 way up. I turn line gain up to 75%, at this level the volume is barely okay but there is a lot of noise. All levels on the assigned track, master volume control, and the bass itself are set appropriately, it seems. Do the mic preamps just really suck, or is the unit defective?
    Support at tascam.com is not too helpful. Any insights would be much appreciated.
  2. It might be a defective unit, I have a Tascam DP-01FX and am quite happy with my bass tones and the inputs. Your basses should not be a problem (wish I had basses that nice) but you might try a better cable if you're not using one. I run my trims or preamp gains pretty high, enough to get some peak lights and find that it is pretty forgiving even when it peaks by not getting that nasty digital crapout but actually getting some of that old school saturation. I don't use the Tascam efx on bass (mine are better) but they are handy for rhythm gtr, keys and especially for vox.