1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dbx 286A for bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by link wray, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Has anyone tried the DBX 286A for bass? - i want a preamp-poweramp config but the dedicated bass preamps all are either too expensive, are not rackmountable, or lack other things i like. I dont really use EQ anyway, and the compression of the DBX is always good. Anyone ever tried this?

http://www.dbxpro.com/286A/286A.php

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately you can't plug a bass straight in, you'd need a DI box between them. The 1/4" input is for line level gear. Also, the gate, expander, and de-esser would not be very useful for most bassists, so that's sort of a waste.

If you search on "channel strip" here and in the catalogs of Sweetwater/MF/other gear retailers, you'll find a lot more options that may be better suited to bass, with an instrument input on the front panel and more useful functions.

3. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    I just plugged my passive p-bass into the line input- works fine- I did have the output going into a line mixer and into my studio power amp however- so I plugged it directly from the dbx out into the power amp- bypassing the mixer- - a few gain adjustments and it sounds frekin great! At least through studios monitors- Old - but refurbished Urei 809's - Between the gain controls and the enhancer settings it's a very usable sound. Fiddlin with the gain and drive/ density settings gives a bit of hair-like tube sound. I might take this on a gig and see how it goes. I'll use the DI on my GK MB200 for the house feed. Fyi- the MB200 is a great amp- I use it live in a Kansas Tribute Band called Know Return and it's plenty powerful -with a good cab. I built mine with an Eminence 12 and a horn - kind-of a poor mans takeoff on the Audio Kinesis design using a stock Parts Express x-over.
    It hauls ass!)