1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DCM 1500s Gone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monroe55, Apr 7, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    :crying:Has Carvin discontinued these??? ***! I was just ready to buy one after over 3 weeks of studying and researching power amps. Now what do I do? TGo for the DCM2000?? What about Carvin's new lite series amps? Any word on the quality of these? They're only like 16lbs. Can something that lite put out that much power... Tastefully?

PaulBass explained to me that using the DCM2000 in bridged mode would require a 20A outlet or something. I dont want to have to worry about whether or not the outlet I plug into can handle my amp. How can I look for this when choosing another power amp to buy. The specs descriptions are still confusing to me so how will I know if the amp Im choosing will require this 20A outlet? Does this 20A thing only apply if Im really driving the amp hard or just to even plug it in?

2. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Hello? Anyone? Bueller?:help:

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can anticipate the demise of all heavy power amps as soon as equivalent lightweight models are available to replace them. The departure of the DCM 1500 is likely just a harbinger of things to come at Carvin, as the cost of shipping heavy amps is already prohibitive, especially when so many are literally being shipped halfway around the world from the factory to the consumer.

4. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
  5. Carvin may still have a few. Contact them and find out. We picked up one of the last DCM1000's about a month ago. It wasn't listed on their sight...just call 'em and see what they have left of the old line.

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    it is only when you push the amp hard that you may trip the 15A breaker in your house. for the record, I never did in 10 years of playing a DCM2000. I rarely went past 12'o clock in stereo mode on both dials

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Carvin's latest catalog has closeout prices on the whole original DCM line. It says "While supplies last". I'm surprised and sad to see this line go, although I'm sure the new models are nice too.

I'll second what Redleg said about the power consumption issue.

8. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Makes me glad I picked up a new DCM1500 from Carvin's ebay site last year when the cashback was 25%. Got it for $300 (+ $29 shipping IIRC). It was their highest power amp in a 2U package. The DCM2000 must be killer but it's 3U. If I was jonesing for one now I'd probably look at their new lightweight line.

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    monroe55,

I just noticed there are no DCM1500's in Carvin's latest catalog. I guess you probably knew that. Sorry I'm one step behind today.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well no, as noted above they are in the catalog (I just got it yesterday) on pg. 5 advertised as "while supplies last". IOW they are being discontinued. It's a shame too, because IMO that line was the best "lead sled performance in a reasonably light and compact package" on the market, and the low price was just gravy.

11. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
  12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    On page 5 of the new catalog, every model EXCEPT the DCM1500 is listed at close-out prices.

I agree it is a shame that this line is being discontinued.

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have an older DCM1500 that is 3 rack spaces.. I was wondering if the last rendition of it into a 2 space sounds the same as the 3 space.. ie. same guts smaller box, or did they change stuff...
    I love my DCM amp... fast as all and tight...
    But i would like to get the 2 soace or the Light version if they sound the same.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    As someone who really likes Carvin products I own a few of the DCM series amps. I too am sad to see their demise. On the other hand I'm looking to reduce the weight I carry. My goto amp is the DCM1000. It gives me 350W/CH into my pair of 2x10 4Ω cabinets. That is their power rating and I'm happy with that.

The light series seem to me to be a little crazy. If I want to replace my DCM1000 there is nothing at Carvin to buy. They are all way above the 350W @ 4Ω range. They seem to be trying to get the maximum power possible from the smallest package. The lowest power into 4Ω is the new 2000 which gives 600W/CH. I see no sense in buying an amp capable of destroying my speakers in a heartbeat.

Paul

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I had a DCM1000, then a 1500. Do yourself a big favor, and spend the couple x-tra bucks, and go for the 3 space gusto.Get the DCM2500! About the same power as the well touted crest CA-9's and these have 1/4" and Speak-on's. Fire it up just once, and after you pee your pants, you'll never look back. I guarantee it!