1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk3-6 - A build diary.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Jun 15, 2013.

1. All the parts are in for my next DIY build.

This will be number 10, here are the previous builds:
    [​IMG]

The plan:
    [​IMG]
    (The neck pickup will move 10 millimeter closer tot the neck than you see in this picture)

A fretted six string hollow body, 35 inch scale.
    The global idea:
    - 2 Delano dual coils with series-single-paralel switch
    - Glockenklang 2 band preamp
    - Black tuners, single string bridge parts and strings
    - Flamed walnut top and matching headstock topping
    - Wenge fingerboard
    - 24 Frets
    - 17,5 Millimeter string spacing at the bridge, 10 millimeter at the nut
    - 2 Dual action truss rods
    - Set-in neck, probably maple/wenge (not sure yet, also depends on the wood I've got at the moment)

The wood for the top.
    [​IMG]

All the hardware parts.
    [​IMG]

2. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Wow, looks like an awesome start. Best of luck.

3. I've made the first saw dust for this bass.
    the top is resawed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The one on the left is the one I'm going for.

4. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Nice design and woods, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. Also, the top on the right looks like an angry Chewbacca.

5. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    Yes, I too immediately saw the angry face in the right hand set, but both sets look good to me. You could put the angry face on the back where it wouldn't be spoiled by pickups, bridge, etc.

As you're on my side of the pond, would you mind sharing the names of your suppliers of wood and hardware? The battery box (if that's what it is) looks like one I haven't seen before.

6. My wood comes from everywhere and nowhere: Ebay, some Dutch online shops and the Amsterdamsche fijnhouthandel.
    The top I'm using here comes, through Ebay, from the US.

This particular battery box comes from Tonfactory, a Dutch online shop where I order most of my hardware, I also order a lot of hardware from Thomann in Germany, it just depends on the price and availability where I order my stuff.

The top is by the way the same set, I just moved one plank from left to right for this picture.
    I've only got one set, not two, but I still have enough thickness left over from this billet to re-saw another top out-of that I can use for a later project.

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Have you thought about using this upside down so the lighter area is at the butt of the body? I'm curious to see how it would look.

8. Yes I have, but this layout seems to work best with the body design (at least for me and this bass will be mine :) ).

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    I can't blame you there! I'm sure it will look great.

10. Great to see somebody from the neighborhood building too. Indeed it looks like this will be a great build.
    Your previous builds look great too!
    I'll keep an eye on this one!

11. On a global scale we are neighbors. :)

12. Rough cut the body.
    [​IMG]
    Most of it will be gone again by the time it is finished!

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Globally, I think you two are standing the same location. You're close enough for Octaedro to bicycle over to your house with several beers... :D

14. That's sort of what I meant, we are almost next door neighbors. ;)

15. Semi-on-topic here, do you by any chance have pictures/info on the making of your two headless basses?

Nice thread by the way, subbed.

16. Only a little bit of info and background, the four string and the six string.

When I build those I didn't keep a build diary, I started doing that two builds ago in Dutch (my native language), this is the first one I'm doing in English as well.

17. Ah, that's great, thanks.
    Just going through the Dutch thread - You do beaut work! I am definitely excited to see this bass developing.

18. Finally found some time and energy to do something again.

Straightened the edge of the body halves and sawed of a thin plate that will become the back, now I need to determine what I need from the center block and saw what I don't need of as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Looks good! :)

P.S. Ik kom uit Zoetermeer ;)

20. Another neighbor. :D