1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de Lisle Eighty-Sixed: EF86Tube Preamp / Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Fellow bassists and effects-heads, lend me your eyes balls. I have one of these:
    86-red-350.

It is an EF86 tube-based preamp/overdrive. Nothing fancy, there are others on the market. But I don't own those. I did an experiment tonight that is making me second guess my decision to try and sell -- despite needing the money for car repairs. I plugged the Hi Output into the FX Return on my Backline210 (now with 210BLX extension cab-age). The Hi Output connect is for going direct to power amps. It is much hotter than the lo output, designed for lowly effects pedals.

The sound was simply...awesome! :eek:

I have been using this pedal with my tele to warm it up, create a small bit of breakup with my previous solid state amp. Given it's size -- it casts a shadow over muffs -- it wasn't very convenient to put in my pedal case.

I turned up the volume and was shocked at the beautiful sound of a tube-enhanced DEAN EVO XM bass could have. Dean humbuckers. Not exactly a name on everyone's lips, ya know.

Jer at de Lisle Guitars is a great guy and went so far as to paint mine John Deere Green with yellow knobs. Great guy, and stands by his product. I burned out two tubes in two weeks, and he deduced it was a bad batch, fixed everything at no cost to me.

For you solid state amp folks looking for a tube preamp, I would highly recommend checking out this monster pedal.

Now, if you will excuse me, the ringing in my ears says it is time to and have some quiet time with my acoustic guitar. :hyper:

2. Shegmaface

Shegmaface

Jun 25, 2010
    No sound clips? Please put up some bass clips. the clips with guitar sound pretty good.

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have since sold it to pay a medical bill.

4. EF86's have bad microphonics so it's a strange choice for a pedal

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    :shrug:

I thought it sounded great with my bass. It added a true tube-based drive to my signal. It sounded even better with my tele and my harmonica (mic). Whatever the microphonics are, it never seemed to be a problem. Maybe because it wasn't on top of a speaker cab?