Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dead spots in all fender jazz basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Sep 29, 2003.

1. hey, i know this could go in setup but i figured since its about fender jazz basses id put it in basses.

anyways, i have a mim fender (2000) and a mia (1999)(defretted) fender jazz bass and they both have dead spots on the g string at the 6th fret (pluck the string and get a weak tone with very little sustain). the fretless actually has a dead spot from between 5th and 6th to bethween 6th and 7th. so i was wondering have you guys had any similar experiences...

btw, ive changed strings and tried multiple neck tension and string height adjustments and i still get them there. :meh:

Eric66 likes this.
  2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I don't think that that would happen... I think that Fender would notice that if it had it in ALL Jazz basses... But that's weird...

3. My stingray has been known to suffer from the same ordeal... same fret everything.. must be a common place for a dead spot... fixes anyone?

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dead spots are something of a Fender trademark, I'm afraid...

:oops: :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup that's right and the position described is a classic Fender dead spot!

There were many debates about this on the FDP (Fender Discussion site) - but the consensus was that if you wanted the real Fender Jazz sound, you had to put up with the downsides - like dead spots and the hum of single coil passive pickups when soloed.

So - a big part of the reason for the Roscoe Beck signature was to get the benefits of a Fender Jazz but without the problems - and they largely succeeded, which is why it is such a good bass.

Eric66, Tylersteez and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I guess I got lucky - my '75 Jazz has no dead spots at all.

7. I've had 8 or 9 Jazz basses over the years, and none of them have had dead spots, but my one and only P bass did!

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think many people don't notice dead spots and they have no real effect on their playing - but you can often point them out when you pick up the bass and say - so listen, that note has slightly less sustain than those around it - but it may make no difference to you and is certainly inaudible to any audience. :)

Eric66, Garret Graves and NightCat like this.
  9. Bruce, I agree with your statement but I would point out that dead spots are more audible in the studio. :(

I am a bassist of 30 years and a recording engineer for 20 and I do hear these dead spots when I record others. Live no, studio, yes!

I am fortunate that both my vintage 66 and 67 jazz basses have no dead spots that are audible.

;) Treena

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I know that you know that we know each other from WormNet. Many a times have I told you that "Fenders suck". I don't actually mean that, nor do I have the authority to say so after all of the very-much-better than me bassists have played them for decades. But this, and the clunky feel, are why I don't like Fenders.

-SackBassist

11. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    My SR5 has the same problem. This is the only complain with this bass, this is not a big problem but sometimes that annoy me. I think there no way to fix it.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I've been asking this question recently too. According to several respected luthiers that I've recently spoken with (including George Furlanetto from F Bass), the dead spot st approximately the C position on the G string is an inherent property of "all" basses. The degree to which it's audible varies from bass to bass and depends on the particular combination of woods and etc, but it's always there. I'm currently trying to find out whether this is a property of the wood itself, or whether it also occurs in the synthetic basses (those with graphite necks or composite bodies). If I listen carefully, I can hear the dead spot in roughly half my basses (including the Fenders).

Eric66 likes this.
  13. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Here is a link to interesting info about deadspots (from Vintage Guitar Magazine)

http://www.vguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=38

And I have copied the (below) question and answer from the FAQ page on the Sadowsky website.

A website visitor asks: Many basses have that dreaded "dead spot" around the fifth to seventh fret on the G-string. Can this be lessened in any way?

Roger Sadowsky answers: Dead spots are a fact of life, especially on 34” scale bolt on instruments. In order to reduce dead spots as much as possible we have increased the thickness of our headstocks and increased the overall stiffness of our necks. An all graphite neck will move the dead spot to where you won’t look for it but a graphite neck really changes the tone of the bass. The best aftermarket device for dealing with dead spots is the Groove Tubes Fat Finger, which is a small metal clamp that attaches to the headstock and increases mass at that end of the neck. It really works!

14. Bruce Lindfield

This is what I've heard many times from all the experts/luthiers etc. over many years of taking part in this forum and also the FDP (Fender forum).

On some basses it might be so subtle as to be no practical problem - but they are always there! Put any Fender bolt-on bass in my hands and I will find it and tell you where it is.

Eric66 and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  15. My old MIM fretless Jazz had the dead spot, but I never noticed it on my Stingray. I'll have to check it tonight. My fretless Ibanez (Luthite body, ebonol fingerboard and maple neck) has one of the liveliest boards I've ever played. The notes almost jump off it.

Maybe the dead spot has something to do with the frequency of that particular "C" note, and the density/shape of a bass' neck. :confused:

I don't remember any dead spots on any of my other non-Fender basses.

Mike

16. What's the relationship between dead spots and boomy spots? I can't play a C on my E string because it's so boomy by comparison with the rest of the neck - it's maple/ash jazz bass.

Eric66 likes this.
  17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    that's what i was goning to say! i have no experience with it but i remember reading about it in some catalogue or another. i hope that it can fix your dead spot issue.

-jimbo

18. on headless basses the necks have a different resonant frequency due to less mass from having no headstock and machineheads- so the deadspot on the G string is much higher on the neck- on my Hohner B2A it's up at the 12th fret G.

19. Thankfully mine doesn't have any dead spots. I've played a guitar with a dead spot on the small e string, at the 6th-8th frets. I guess it happens with more than just basses.

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    When I made my latest bass, I made sure to glue in the dead spot at Db on the G string. :)
    I was so happy to hear that when the bass was all strung up and ready to go. I find that graphite spars in the neck do alleviate the dead note, but if I want a Fender-type of sound, I don't install them, and I live with the dead spot.

For me it isn't really a lack of sustain, but that the fundamental of the note dies away, leaving the second octave harmonic ringing.