Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean - Brian Bromberg

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Has anyone played one of these...they look hot...especially the blue stain one...i like the cutaways...how much do these fair maidens retail at?..or sholdnt i ask? the specs look mighty good

4 & 5 String
    Flame Maple/Basswood
    34"
    Neck Thru Maple/Rosewood
    ABA B2
    Grovers Black
    Dean/Active
    Alder or Ash body/figured maple top
    2 custom Dean pickups with 3 band EQ
    Piezo pickups under each string with seperate volume and EQ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have 2, a 4 and a 5. It's a really good bass. Nice lows and highs are useful. I hate piezos, so I don't use them. Brian told me that if I strung it with nylons and used only the piezos, I'd have an acoustic on streriods. I have the amber colored one in a 4 string.

3. cool..im not very experienced with piezo's ive only ever played a cort A4 with them...but ive been trying to find brians album jaco for a while now, not to mention all his others but its damn near impossible down here...

check out this vid..i never knew brian was so damn...mind blowing.
    here
    what really blows me away is that second tapping passage from about 11 secconds onward where he runs down the neck with his right hand...it blows me away and makes me smile and giggle, its awesome

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I believe the 4 is $799 street, the 5 can't be much more than that. Played the 4, had to put it down fast or I'd have tried to find a way to spare the cash, it was really impressive.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    The blue 5'er is sweet... Looks like there's abunch of access.

Are these the Dean's that are hand built in FL?

6. wow...i pictured them being a bit more than that...puts it on my list if i can find a distributor down here or if one comes on ebay :D ..ill be looking at the 4 of course :D

7. im not sure...but i think at that price they'd be korean or some part of asian produced....which doesnt worry me..my ibanez atk was korean and it was solid and great

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    There are 2 kinds. An MIK and and MIA. The MIA's are built in Florida.

9. so that price that dave posted is that for the MIA or MIK

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    MIK.

11. hmmm..interesting :D ..does the korean one have the flame maple top in transparent blue? :D :D

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yep. They both have flamed maple tops. In fact, the amber 4 in the pic is an MIK.

13. oooohhhh swwweeeeettt....i gas hardcore right now....i want i want i want

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Are all of these basses MIK ?

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    No, some are MIA. the ones where you can see the neck woods running through the bass from the front are the MIA's. Here's my son and my MIK 4.

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I play the 5, in teal transparent. I replaced the stock pickups with Bart 57J1s, and it is the most incredible bass! Mine is Korean, and was a factory 2nd due to the fact that the color of the headstock is lighter than the body. Of course, this really, really affects the tone of the bass (everyone knows the sound comes from the finish! lol...) so I got mine for $499. There was a blue 4 on eBay, they had it at $699 start, $825 BuyItNow, then after 5 times with no bids, dropped the price. It is a Korean made one, as is mine. Absolutely no problems with mine since I got rid of the inverter on the battery box and stuffed two 9v's in the compartment. The inverter takes the single 9v up to 18v. Mine went bad, so I deleted it from the circuit. I talked at length with Mick over at Dean, and he said they were not going to have the USA model for a while. They'll all be the Korean, except Brian's personal basses. The cost is more than double, for very little increase in value. Same preamp in all of them, same piezo bridge, only difference was in the finish and the USA's were going to have Bartolinis. So I basically made mine a USA-level B2-5 for $100 more than I paid. Incredible, earth-shaking lows, piezos are great, they have a seperate EQ on them, 3-band EQ on the mags. I know some people have a natural aversion to piezos, but they really make the bass. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can answer them.

I've had more compliments on this bass than any other except my LightWave 5. If I bring both of them to a gig, I'm assured that I will not be able to have any break time to myself- too busy answering questions! Even people who don't play bass come up and ask about it- they say it's the first time they've ever heard the bass so clearly.

17. its like watching meshell ndegeochello wrestle a jazz :D ..im talking bass to body size comparison :D ..but it does look like a nice sizey instrument...but it does look nice....you teaching your son to play? or does he have no intention...sounds like he's got some good basses to get started on :D

18. only one more thing im interested in is if anyone can send me sound clips...like piezo only, pickups only, mixed and all 3 played slap and pizicato

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

gettin down on it :bassist: !

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    He's more into keyboards, and my other son is a helluva guitarist.