1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean EAB bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorNorton, Mar 4, 2008.

1. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    If you all read my other forums you know I bought a 2007-08 model Dean Playmate EAB acoustic bass. This is SH!T quality. I've only changed the strings three times from the strings that came on it to Fender Flats (light gauge) to D'addario Chromes (light gauge) it sounds cool. But the problem is the bridge pins wont stay anymore (nomatter what pressure) how do I get them to stay in? please help soon.
    Thanks, Trevor

2. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    Hello? Anyone there? Please Respond!

3. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    COME ON!

4. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    WHAT THE ****! TWO DAYS IN A ROW NO RESPONSE. SCREW YOU ALL

5. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    Three days! What the hell is wrong with you people? It's ****ing rediculous! All I'm asking for is help, with my bass.

6. ChemicalFire

ChemicalFire

Dec 10, 2007
    To be honest, after your abusive quadruple post, I doubt anyone one is going help you.

*reported*

7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I agree.

Really man, what a dick. :rolleyes: Email someone at Dean already:meh:

8. I have one of these and it seems well made. I am not crazy about the passive pickup system, but have an external Preamp. I put flats from Webstrings on it. The pins might have been damaged or you could have pushed too hard installing strings. Maybe the holes got enlarged.

Do they do this with all strings? or.....just the ones currently installed?

Don't reply like a snotty brat. Act with a little respect. It will come back to you.

9. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    Sorry I just couldn't wait. I've pushed them in too hard I guess. It's my first acoustic bass with bridge pins. They must have expanded. Is there a way for me to fix it?

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    perhaps try a thin wrap of tape around the stems of the pins to return to a tight fit, and create a less slippery surface to surface ... I dont have one, but I assume the pins are plastic ?? ... if there is no room for a conventional type of tape, try a wrap or two of teflon tape used in plumbing, push pins in with an ever so slight twist may help also ... now be nice to people!!

Edit to add: I just checked your profile ... you have your Dean strung BEAD ... if you did this without any modification to the bridge pins, there is probably a good chance that the string guage is too heavy to allow the pins to seat properly ... especially since it doesnt seem that anyone else is having this problem with their Deans ... which by the way is probably why they didnt respond to your delightful 'request' for assistance ...

11. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Now I know why tigers eat their young.

12. I missed the BEAD......sorry -

the neck won't like that, and your brigde will probably say goodbye to the body eventually.

Mine is set up to play through an amp - not unplugged. It is too quiet with teh electric flats.

It is sweet through an amp, with the preamp, and tone almost completely off at the instrument.

Very upright!

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why do you say that? Strung BEAD, there is less tension on the neck and bridge.

14. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Just the opposite. The thicker the string the greater the tension. You can't tune down that far you have to use strings made for the tuning.

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like you could stand to do a little research.

16. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    No dude. Follow me here.

Say you're strung EADG and then downtune them to BEAD. What has happened? The strings have almost no tension, they are very loose. How do you add tension? By getting thicker strings. So yes, the thicker the string the greater the tension.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No dude, you follow me.
    It takes less tension to bring a B string to pitch than an E (which it is replacing). It takes less tension to bring an E string to pitch than an A; less tension to bring an A to pitch than a D; and less tension to bring a D to pitch than a G.
    Or,
    all things being the same, it takes less tension to bring an B to pitch than it does a G. So however you want to look at it BEAD has less tension on neck and bridge than EADG.

18. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Hmm, okay. I see what you mean... sorry! I'll shut up now and leave to the experienced guys. :p

19. At any rate - it likely sounds like ass, because it isn't designed to be used that way. I had a P bass strung BEAD, it also depends on teh type of strings, as to how much tension you end up with.

I refuse to argue about it. It just isn't a good appication for this instrument IMHO. If it works for him though great. It would seem though.....that it does not.

So....back to the question. You can partially refill the hole and re-drill. there are other methods........not sure at this point.

20. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    thats as far as the pins will hold up is to that tuning. i want it EADG but the pins pop out and the strings fly. the strings are D'Addario Chromes light guage (.45, .65, .80, .100) thats a fairly light guage. I can tune to EABG its the d string peg that pops out. and the strings detune one full step by themselves