Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 8, 2006.

1. just outta curiousit, what do you think is better build quality wise, cos fenders are really hit and miss, the ones ive played that is.....and ive played a few dean edges which felt really great and consistent between the few ive played and the pace ive played was real nice too..

but how would you rate quality between say, a fender geddy lee or a dean b2...i havent played either but so attracted to both of them:D

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Not familiar with the Dean but I own Geddy. I can honestly say the build quality is probably the best I have ever seen at that price point....nothing lose or ill fitting on the bass. Finish is perfect and it plays great.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean build quality is very consistent and very high. As is Fender. You won't go wrong with either brand IME, and at the same price point they're comparable. Go with what you like.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i think fender in the past couple of years have really improved quality control. i have not played a fender in that time that i was totalyy appalled with.

5. pickbass

pickbass

Mar 2, 2006
    I think Fenders are much better than they were a few years ago. Still a bit hit or miss (what basses aren't?) but much better. As far as Dean instruments go, IMHO they are among the best bang for the buck around. Though this is coming from an admitted Dean head. I started out on guitar and at the time would play nothing other than my '80s Dean's which I still have and play a lot.

Though I don't own a Dean bass I have played them. Every one was a winner. In fact, other than the 5-string I'm planning on building the only other bass I'm lusting after is a Dean Edge Pro 5.

Greg

6. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on going with what you like! I have a few Fenders and one Dean. I think they're about equal in quality from what I've seen.

There may be a few lemons out there, but don't let one poorly set-up abused bass in the store affect your decision. I found a great playing Mexican Jazz V. I bought the 03 MIA Fender Jazz Fretless off of Ebay and it was great! The 79 P bass is in it's own category :)

The Dean Edge 5 unlined fretless has become my main bass these days over a Warwick Corvette and a US Spector NS-5! For the price, Dean makes a fine instrument. After a little tweaking and set of TI Jazz Flats, it plays like butter and I'm very satisfied with the build quality. As for tone, it's handling covers from Alice in Chains to Jewel quite nicely nicely.

R

7. rictor66

rictor66

Oct 13, 2009
    Miami, FL
    hmm...Fender or dean...well, ex-Fender player, current Dean Owner...in the ever-so-important "bang for your buck" category, I love the **** out of my Dean Zone XM; a "starter bass" that I happily gig with about twice a month. Solid build and awesome tone. Compared to a Fender? I dunno. In my case I'd compare to the same price point Squier and the Dean wins, hands down.

When you get higher in price however...I've played MIM Fenders and Deans of about the same price range and to me it's apples and oranges; in look and sound. Depends on what's in season for you, as it were.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Or what was in season for the original poster three and a half years ago, as it were :D

9. I've been lucky with owning Fenders, but I have seen some stinkburgers from them. I had a Dean European Custom Select 5 that was awesome and I miss it so! Build quality was excellent and the red, quilted finish on the body was very deep. The neck was a dream! I strung it with ghs Infinity Steels in red, which I got from ghs for free (they were across the street from my office). It just looked killer!

10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    It must be getting close to halloween....

ZOMBIE THREAD AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    At the low end price-wise, I'd choose Dean every time. I have a $99 Dean bass and a $99 Dean guitar, both bought as throw-in-the-trunk beater instruments. They're both very playable, have good tone and have survived a fair amount of abuse and neglect.

No experience with the high end of the Dean range so can't say there.