1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent half/full stack for 600$ or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm looking for a new amp but I don't want something too expensive. I was looking at a GK Backline 600 for a head which seems pretty nice, but I'm not sure what cabinets to go for. There is a Kustom Deep End Series 410 at the local music store, but then again I'm not sure if I should go for it.

If anyone could help me figure this stuff out it'd be great, thanks.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Your best option would be to try to find a used Avatar cab. Good luck with that in Canada.

Once upon a time I was using a Backline 600 with one of their glx410s. I liked it OK but it wa a heavy sucker ~48kg (106 lb)

3. If you are willing to get something used you can certainly get a decent half stack for less than 600 bucks. New you will get a less decent half stack. I think my Henry the 8x8 and SM500 came out to less than 600 bucks, both used. I consider that to be decent, I seldom need to bring anything else anyway. Best bang for buck new in my experience comes from Peavey, Yorkville and Carvin.

4. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +1 on Carvin You can get a half stack new for like $700.
    Im a big Peavey guy but most will say no to that :scowl:.
    I like those Kustom cabs that you metioned too.

5. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    This one guy I work with is willing to sell me his old Peavey for 300$, which includes a head and an 8x10, he says it's an early 90s model. I've had some bad experience with Peavey in the past, which is why I'm a bit hesitant.

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi

Well for $300 even if you dont like the head you could sell it for cheap and have plenty to buy another head of your liking. And youll have a full stack. I still like Peavey though :D.

7. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm not sure which model it is, all I know is it is over 300 watts and has a 12 band EQ if that's any help. If someone could help me find out out which model it is it would be great.

8. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I recommend Avatar. Steamcomusic.com ( i think?) Sells them. They are the Canadian distributor. 339$ =25$ for shipping gets you a 112. NOt bad at all.

By the way, Where in Ontario are you located? I've seen quite some nice things going on London/kitchener are craiglists/kijiji

9. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Im not too sure. I had a early/mid '90's Tmax head but it wanst a 12 band on it. But I ran that through a Peavey 810TVX for a while and loved it.

10. Early 90's Peaveys flagship head was the Megabass. Had a big old EQ on it, could be 12 band. Wattage sounds ballpark right. I remember Will Lee in ads with the Hartke cabs and that head back in the day. Could be a Mk something or other as well.

11. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Should I go for it though? I want something that's better than my terrible SWR. I'm not looking for like the perfect amp that will cost more money than I have, just a really good amp that I can hook up a bunch of effects to.

12. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    $600 is pretty slim pickins for a professional rig. I think the best rig I could put together is a used 800RB through a used Goliath. If you want new, I'd look into the Shuttle 3.0 combo with a used 8ohm 210. That's a good sounding loud rig.

13. No idea. I like my SWR stuff just fine actually, so maybe I am not the best judge. Outside of that LA and Workingmans garbage I'd almost always take SWR over Peavey, and I've spent a fair amount of time with both. Peavey stuff is super reliable, some of it sounds average, some of it pretty good. I'd say it's worth trying the thing out at the least.

14. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Were on ontario are you located? If you are in my general region I can help yah out.

15. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Outside of Kingston, like a half hour away from there

16. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Right on. I'm in london. I'll start looking round for some used stuff for yah. under 600$ and hopefully over/around 250w?

17. Take the $300 deal. Aside from that, I'd buy used as has been recommended. I bought 2 Aguilar S210's and a Peavey T-Max for $600. Good used 4x10's can be found for $300 all over the place. Older Goliaths, Peaveys and even the Eden D-410T all go for ~$300. There are plenty of decent heads to be had with the remainder.

Mike

18. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I find on eBay an Eden WTX-260 head for $255 and a D-210T cabinet for around $200.

So many choices out there but I don't know what to choose.

19. I'm not in a position to tell you what you need or prefer, but if it were me....

I'd go with as much wattage and speaker as I could carry. The Eden deals you posted seem good, but will one 210 fill your needs? The WTX is a lightweight head, but will 260 watts be enough? Could you maybe find a more powerful "full sized" head for the same dough (trading wattage for weight)?

Yeah, there are a lot of good choices out there. I'm not in your situation, but I'd still lean towards the $300 deal you posted about earlier. If either the head or cabinet doesn't work for you, take the $300 you saved, sell the item you dislike and upgrade.

Mike

20. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm also considered getting my dream rig instead, if I can work out a deal with my parents. Would that be a wise decision? I mean, my amp only breaks up subtly when I hit the strings pretty hard.