1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decided to keep the Ampeg SVT 610HLF, now which head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jthakwvu, May 6, 2010.

1. Jthakwvu

Jthakwvu

May 4, 2010
    As a band, we all decided that we like the sound and the stage presence of the 610 (600 watt RMS @ 4 Ohms). Now which head do we pair with it? Prefer to stick with the Ampeg heads because we like that sound. Any and all suggestions will be considered!

2. I use my Mark Bass Little Mark III with my 610 hlf. It sounds great and it's very light and portable. I love the sound of an SVT head but can't deal with the weight.

3. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    I've always been partial to the SVT8-PRO, but that might be overkill for you cab.

4. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Ampeg begets Ampeg - Get one of the CLs while they're hot.

5. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i'll vote for my svt4. :cool::bassist:

6. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i go seperate power amp and pres always.

carvin dcm 3800 L im using now as power.

sansamp vt bass or RPM / RBI AND real tube pre amp pedal as well.

good luck!

if u had to pick a head, i always used SWR stuff. but this was back in the day. carvin has some really lightweight heads now too.

7. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    +1 My SVT4Pro/410HLF clanks. I could only imagine what that head would do with 6x10's.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I used a SVT610HLF for years.

For low volume gigs I used a V4BH.

And a SVT CL, for big gigs.

They both sounded great with that cab.

Yes, there heavy, but you don't sacrifice tone, for weight. :D

9. Believe me, it's an eargasm. Best tone I have ever had.

10. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    awesome. my exact rig. :bassist:

11. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I have an SLM issue SVT610 and I use an SLM issue SVT4-Pro on top. Perfext. I would not go with less power.

12. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Been happy with my SVT450H + 610HLF on stage.

Master at 5 and Gain at about 4 is about as loud as I've ever needed it.

13. If you can't afford a vintage SVT or a VR, then GK 800RB. It will dirty up better than many SS Ampegs and the dual mid controls will give you a better chance at sculpting the mid you sound need with that cab, which has a pretty thick (some say muddy) low mid hump. IMHO, having owned the cab for several years. I replaced mine with an NV610 and never looked back, but it is a good cab.

14. I use mine with a GK but I use a VT bass pedal to make it sound more like an Ampeg which the cab likes.

A SVT 7pro might work well too, nobody has mentioned that one yet.

15. I have to agree....I use a 4Pro with my 6X10 and it does quite well...;)

16. So that's three of us now? This seems to be a pretty popular setup.

17. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    GK and Ampeg make a great pairing...

I used to have an 610HLF, and ran a GK1001RBII through it... It was AWESOME! I sold the head and cabinet when I moved out of state, but downsized and went with a GK800RB and run it into an Ampeg SVT48HE (4x8)... I love the sound of it as well... Plus, I don't have to carry around a 45 lb. head.

18. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Ampeg SVT-CL, EBS Fafner or Markbass LM III are all great with the 610hlf

19. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a big fan of all-tube Ampeg heads (SVT CL, AV or 2 Pro) as you can't (IMO) beat that tube power section.

Also a big +1 to the Bergantino NV series recommendation. I've played quite a bit through HLF cabs as backline and am not a big fan - I think the Berg NVs blow them away in every respect (except cost)...

20. Apparently!! But I ALSO USE IT WITH A 8X10 Heritage, as well.....and while the 6X10 sounds great. the 8X10 Heritage literally SCREAMS!!!:D