Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decision between 2 tube setups

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KataPolt, Aug 4, 2004.

1. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Cheers everyone!

I just recently discovered this site, and wow: I could read on and on for years and STILL have more to learn!

I am trying to decide between 2 tube rigs, and would enjoy input from some of you experienced folks here.

I'm trying to decide between an Ampeg SVT Classic through a Bergantino 610, or, the Traynor YBA200 through its Traynor cabinet designed for the head. I can buy the Traynor near where I live, but they don't have the cabinet, so I can't try it. I'd have to buy it seperately from someplace else. I have tried SVT Classics and really liked them, and have also tried a Bergantino 610 and think its great! But I haven't tried the SVT Classic with the Bergantino together.

The Traynor amp is much lighter which is nice, but I always have help moving my rig, so it's not so important.

Can you tell me what differences I will hear and notice between these two rigs, and which you would recommend? I play a Fender P bass and a Fender Jazz bass (P is a black from 1979, the Jazz is white from 1986).

Thank you :)

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lotta difference between those two rigs. If I were thinking about the Ampeg, I'd consider an Ampeg pre and a power amp. If you're talking buying new, you could do that cheaper than the Ampeg tube head and it would weigh less.

And if you're going to do that, I would think you could find a better match than Bergantino stuff. Nothing wrong with Bergie, mind you, but Ampeg or Aguilar would be more compatible.

Think about an Aguilar pre while you're at it. They're expensive even used, but I love mine.

3. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    e379, thank you for your reply.

I thought the Bergantino 610 would be a good match for a SVT Classic amp because the Bergantino is a sealed cabinet like the Ampeg 810. So I suppose I'm wrong about them being a good match?

I can get good prices on either the SVT Classic or the Traynor combination, but I just cannot try them all together first.

I want to have a tube amplifier, because they are the tone I prefer. I don't want to buy different components to build into my 'head'. So, if the Bergantino isn't a good match, are there any other (slightly smaller than the 810) cabinets that are a good match for the SVT Classic to compare with the Traynor combination? Through experience, I think I prefer sealed cabinets to go with the SVT Classic if I choose that amp. What options do I have?

Yorkville combination
    or
    SVT Classic + ?

4. If there's a better match for an SVT than a Bergantino NV-610, I haven't heard it. I use one with my '76 SVT and it sounds better than any 810 I've encountered (except maybe the old one with Weber recones in it :D...). It's tight and punchy and really lets the bass sit in the mix perfectly. Very reminiscent of the 810 with a bit more low end and top end extension. The NV-series cabs are just made for tube amps.
    I'd recommend the NV-610 even for the Yorkville...:D
    I'm hearing good things about the YBA-200, haven't tried one yet though. The SVT-CL speaks for itself.......And if you want that real tube amp sound, no solid state amplifier will give it to you.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry 'bout that. If you had put the "NV" in front of "610" I'd have caught on. I'm inclined to think of Bergantino in terms of well..."Bergantino"...instead of the New Vintage stuff. So the fellow who was advising you to go with the NV-610 is probably spot on.

As far as the all tube thing is concerned, if that's what you really want, go for it! I use an Aggie DB 659 pre and an SWR 750 power amp and it's tubey enough for me...but that's me.

Whatever you get, play before you pay. Buyer's remorse isn't pretty; especially when we're talking big money and tone.