1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DeFretter????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassyeah, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Any idea how to duplicate the "defretter" effect on the Boss ME-50B???? (other then buying a Boss ME-50B)
    I'm wondering if that effect can be done with one effect or maybe a combination of effects.... :help:

Thanks for reading and for your input-

2. a chorus could get a similar sound. maybe some reverb or delay to soften your sound.

3. ummm...... a fretless would sound like a fretless...:bag:

4. I'm not sure how to get the "swell" thing to happen???

5. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    you mean the "mwah"? Maybe an envelope filter..? Good luck configuring one to get a semi-authentic mwah sound, tho..

6. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

7. ummmmm... a fretless would sound just like a fretless... I dont want to sound like a fretless... I want to get the sound the defretter does.... ;)

8. best thought so far...

9. You might try some hall-type reverb (Holy Grail or other), maybe with some chorus?

10. Two choruses would get you close, first chorus would be slow and deep, second chorus would be tighter and shallower (more like a “normal” chorus setting). Play more up on the neck to get a bit more natural “blossom” from the string…

11. i tend to use chorus and turn down the tone knob a bit. i never hear clanky top end bass on a fretless.

12. The swell is probably just a volume swell? This is achievable with the Boss Slow Gear (mega expensive), the guyatone SV-2 (or the new SV-5) (less expensive, I havethe SV2 and it's really cool), the behringer SM-200 (cheap), or a volume pedal and a tired leg.

Steve

13. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Look around, maybe someone will part out a ME-50B.

:D

the chorus suggestions are good

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    He's also spewing crap in the Basses forum.
    Already reported his behaviour against rule #1.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hey, any soundclips of this Defretter tone exist?

A wild stab would be some very light delay, just to thicken the note, and a little chorus.

16. I've never heard it but...

I'll stick my neck out and say a combination of the swell of a Boss CS-1, some sort of slow gear clone (if you can't get an original) like the Guyatone SV-2 and a small amount of reverb. Maybe chorus as well...I don't know, I've not heard it :bag:

kendobass likes this.
  17. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    kendobass likes this.
  18. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I've only heard it once, and only for a couple seconds, myself, when a friend of mine was cycling through effects in his GT-6B, but I'm pretty sure there was some sort of detuner or chorus thing going on. Didn't hear enough of it to notice or remember any swell-type sound, but if it's trying to replicate a fretless electric, I think it'd more likely be mwah-related than volume-swell related.

kendobass likes this.
  19. I may be wrong but is it the sound at 0:48 in this video?

kendobass likes this.
  20. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Whatever that is, it sounds a like envelope filter+chorus..