1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dell buys Alienware

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, May 3, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know this isn't exactly breaking news but I don't think it was ever discussed here. Dell announced in late March that they're buying Alienware.

I'm thinking this is their clever way of skirting their exclusive contract with Intel and getting into the AMD market. What say ye?

I assume Dell will still sell their high-end XPS gaming machines since they're supposedly going to continue to operate separately.

bc

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    :eyebrow:

At least it's dell... dell is not as bad as emachine, gateway or any other large computer maker... Most of them suck Barbara Strasen’s balls.

3. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    eh, hopefully alienwares' will still be as good

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    As good at what? Crashing horribly?

5. maybe dell will lower prices...thats the only real problem with alienware...they are decent computers, but the price is rediculous

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You can't just lower the prices and keep the quality hardware. When they lower prices they will lower quality of hardware no one pay's attention to like ram. More they lower the price more they will lower the quality. It's a business it's not a charity.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Since they seem to use their own branded RAM who would really ever know if the quality was lowered or they started having it made at a cheaper factory or something?

bc

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Even if they didn’t brand their own ram, if they went from corsair to some unbranded name majority would not bother to look at that really.

I am guessing they just brand the hardware but really it's made by Samsung or something like that. Samsung sells a lot of their ram to companies that later brand the same Samsung ram as their own. So there will be really no way of telling which ram chips they use. Just a guess though, never dealt with AW before.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, and you bust my chops about an article that was two weeks old. Hater!

-Mike

10. Methinks that everything will stay mostly the same, but Dell will make more money.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You have not achieved status of the Q just yet.

12. I never saw why people bought alienwarez computers, they are waaaaay too overpriced for what they are, much much much cheaper to build your own PC and it isnt that hard, even i managed to do it!

While we are on the computer geek side of things, Quad SLi anyone? woof! :p

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Defiantly, but that goes to any major computer builders.

14. wait...IGAM said the same thing that i tried so say, yet you agreed with him and not me...D'oh!

15. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Sweet! Dell rules (well compared to Gateway....don't even start...) but them alienwares a a bit overpriced, i do agree that they are great quality computers, but still, we can'y afford em!

16. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I hate dell! bought a notebook and after the fourth one I finally got one that worked let alone had the things in it that I purchased. I'll never buy dell again. Guess I can scratch alienware off of the list too.

17. Hmmm, it's easier and **** of a lot cheaper just to buy the parts and build one yourself, well, not easier, but I'm a cheapass.

18. i don't think you need to be cheap to pass on alienware...just smart...with alienware you are paying for the cool box and thats it...i refuse to believe anyone that tells me different as well, unless they can give me a price sheet of the components they are sticking in there showing me how "expensive" those part are...

anyone can make their own for much much cheaper

19. Alienware is too damn expensive...you're just paying for the shiny looking case.

The real way to go is to build your own, IMO/IME.

20. True, but i think it applies more-so with alienware, because they are aimed at the uber geek market :p , so most people would easily be able to build them up, i know Dell over here arent much more expensive than building your own, so alot of people are fine spending that little bit more to have the cover of someone else having made it, but alienwarez are just waaaay too much