1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Demeter Minnie 800D Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnpbass, Mar 6, 2013.

1. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I didn't want to derail the Monique threads with this question so I'll ask here. Has anyone used the Minnie 800D with preamps other than the Monique?

I really like the Demeter products and the amp seems like it's getting great reviews from the Monique users. I'm thinking this would be a nice combo with my Aguilar Tonehammer Pre/DI for a super compact powerful rig.

I'd have to think about the cost though - whew!

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    So, a different question then for you Minnie users - any opinions on how the Tonehammer and Minnie would work together? I'm assuming that the Minnie does not add it's own color to the tone?

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking it would be nice to use with my TH pedal, as well as a VT Bass, BDDI, SFT, etc etc. There could be a lot of applications here.

I'm wondering if the "Volume" knob is an output volume for the power amp, or an input gain trim to the Preamp. The Website says the input gain can be trimmed, but there is no other dial on the outside that I can see.

Also, $999 is pretty steep for what it is. It better be darn good for that price.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Considering the ICEPower module that's inside can be purchased for about $500, and all you need to do is hook up 120v, XLR in and speakon out, yeah sorta.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    If they've implemented a lot of pleasant limiting/compression functions then I can see a justification in the cost. There's a lot of room for expense in a well designed unit. But seeing as how Demeter has a very limited presence around here, and there is no manual online yet, and very little detail that I can find about this thing anywhere at all, I'm not wanting to take the plunge without finding out a bit more first.

6. Assuming that's all that is in there, of course. It's possible there's some front end and/or proprietary dynamics processing in there as well as the power amp module.

Also, I'd guess that Demeter probably doesn't pay anything like $500 for the power amp modules, volume discounts and such.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

If that was "all you need to do," there'd be a lot more people doing it. I think you underestimate everything required to make the amp.

Is there profit built in for Demeter? God, I hope so.

agedhorse likes this.
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    From what I understand there was a considerable amount of tweaking to deal with some of the oddities of the ICE module at certain frequencies/conditions. My hunch is that it isn't exactly a DIY project...

But I don't know. What I do know is when I flip the switch it works and sounds good.

jsxtal likes this.
  9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agreed Jason, lot of applications possible. I really like the idea of the small form factor for the power amp. I've gotten rid of all my skb racks and can cart any of my amps in my old GigSkinz Mixer Bag - which interestingly enough, I bought to carry my old Eden WT 400/550s.

Btw, I still refer to your Tonehammer post as my go to reference for TH settings;)

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If it sounds good then I'm betting that it will indeed sound good with the pedal preamps.;)

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    What's the inside of yours look like? I'm curious.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think that's why I'm so curious. If the heat abatement, limiter, and other such things are implemented well, it could be a bargain especially since there is little competition out there. It's just hard to know. I supposed I could try calling Demeter (never have done that before) to see what they can tell me on the phone. I'd prefer if they just posted up a user manual and some simple specs on the website first before I decide to go much deeper. I'm seldom in the mood this last year or two to buy and try.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    First of all, the minimum order quantities are such that just any schmuck can't buy an ICEPower from them and throw it in a box. You'd have to buy from someone who ordered a bunch and had leftovers (where the quoted $500 is from.) The Minnie fits a particular use case with the Monique, and was cheap as heck for the Demeter folks to adapt into a box because they had already built the assembly for use with their preamps. Also, the ICEPowers are cheap enough and small enough that most people want it in a head form anyways, so the market for a tiny power amp is just not that big.

As for what it takes to make the amp, read the datasheet. You absolutely can just wire the jacks up and go. That's what this thing is designed as - a self contained, ready to go solution.

The guy obviously has the expertise and experience to do something special, and of course he deserves to make money - if he makes something people want at a price point they're willing to pay everything's gravy! I'm just curious whether there's extra special sauce going on here or not.

14. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    That's my thing. These modules are in almost every micro head out there, and the performance difference is different among those heads. Since Demeter has always made quality stuff, I'm hoping this is a quality unit.

I didn't mean to derail this comment with my original price comment. What I'm really hoping is that the higher price means that they've really put in all the supporting components to deliver a great sounding power amp that doesn't wet the bed when pushed hard, doesn't over heat and shut down, has a low noise floor, etc, etc. If so then the price will be more than worth it if it can deliver it's rated wattage. Coming from Demeter, I would assume this to be true, but I still got's questions, yo? :D

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Actually the picture I posted is just the interface control. Below is a more detailed shot of the amp

harwell-witch-computer-old-640x487.

16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Ah, the ENIAC power module. ALL tube!

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Has anyone played both the Demeter Minnie and the discontinued Acoustic Image Slave amp? I had one of those for a while that I got from Bob Golihur many years ago.

I seem to remember that being priced at close to $1000, too.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    This is exactly why I'm interested in this amp. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, I have gotten away from racks and have switched to carrying my amps in a soft bag.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I knew about this.
    I use it to get real time stock quotes too.

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Corresponded a bit with Demeter through email. The Volume knob on the Minnie controls power amp output. There is a trim pot inside the Minnie for adjust input gain. That is frustrating, but I understand the desire to keep the outside simple.

I'm really thinking about ordering one of these soon.