1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Describe your Dream Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gebass6, Oct 10, 2013.

1. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    This is MY dream bass.First off,it is a five string with 29 frets.That way I get the upper range of a six string bass with only five strings. The body shape is a cross between a Cort Curbow and a Zon Michael Manring Hyperbass.Made of either Cocobolo top and Maple body or Padauk top and Maple body.Satin finish.A long horn on the bass side and an extremely deep cutout on the treble side.That is so I can play upper register chords in the cutout with no hand movement restriction.
    The pickup is either a single soapbar,or two Fender Jazz type single coils very close together.The pickup is in the bridge position.The hardware brass or 24 carat gold. There are no surface mounted knobs.The volume and tone are slider switches located along the lower edge of the bass.This is so that there is nothing to hit and restrict hand movement when slapping.(Big hands)
    The truss rod access is between the pickup and the end of the neck.Not at the headstock.The bridge has a weighted aluminum block underneath.Exactly like the bridge on a Traben Core or Chaos model.This is so that the bridge and body weight counteract the weight of the neck and hangs at the correct angle. I would also have a fretless twin with no fretlines.These would be the sum total of some of the best qualities of some of the basses I've seen over the years. So,describe to me YOUR Dream bass!(Pleases excuse the run on paragraph,as I do not know how to get the page to properly space the paragraphs!)

2. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    4-strings, with 26 frets. It would probably be shaped like an explorer. Alembic-style pickups(+ dummy coil) in the vintage Rickenbacker positions. Mahogany body, a wenge/ovangkol through-body neck with mahogany stripes. Snakewood fretboard. Possibly spalted beech or maybe amboina burl for a top.

Treble,Bass, and midrange controls with stacked volume/volume knob, Q-filter, and a series/parallel switch for each pickup.

3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

30" scale fretless, neck-thru 5 string with passive PJ pickup configuration. .

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i've got one of mine on order now with G&L.
    it's an SB-2T (T for tone control, factory installed)
    alder body/black finish
    #7 Q-sawn maple neck/rosewood fretboard, light tint satin finish on neck with glossed headstock
    tort pickguard
    left-handed

in the next month i'm ordering up a vintage style version from Bluesman Vintage.
    alder body/black finish
    maple neck/rosewood fretboard
    1-11/16" nut width and early '50s P profile (chunky)
    lollipop tuners
    tort guard
    p/j pickups with j in the '70s position.

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    feels comfy, plays great, sounds great, looks great, durable. idk what any of that is quite yet, but when i find it, i'll let you know ;)

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Alembic

7. VintageBassGuy

VintageBassGuy

Dec 28, 2013
    Nashville
    Chambered '62 spec Jazz, Badass II Bridge, bridge cover, and finger rest about a quarter inch above the neck between the neck and neck pup.

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Ken Lawrence Chamberbass fretless 5'er with a figured Koa top and gaboon ebony board.

Dan K.

9. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    A 58 P bass in the original case that I buy at a garage sale for $90.

10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings
    A Tony Franklin style Fretted bass with a natural flametop.

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    huh... not sure I've ever actually thought about this, but okay, here goes:

Imagine a cross between a Curbow XT-33 and an F Bass AC6, only with neck-thru construction, and Alembic Series II electronics.

jeez, i think I just messed my pants!

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For the music I play, my Precision V (w/Nickel DR Sunbeams) seems to be just right. These strings seem to fortify the usual B string concerns about this bass. Black w/maple neck.

As much as I am also enjoying the Big Al 5 sss, I still need to work it for a few months to find all the sweet spots.

13. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Fender J

Rick 4001

That's perfection

14. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Hmm.

My dream bass would have an ash Precision body and a Custtom Shop 60's stlye split pickup. I'm thinking a maple neck similar to an American Standard. A high mass bridge that allows you to run the strings through the body would be nice. I want a slightly different look though. Maybe an early to mid 50's Precision style pick guard and a metal plate for the tone controls.

Sort of like this....

FenderFenderFender.

All kidding aside, the 60th Anniversary P is MY perfect bass. I wish that it came in more colors.

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have two. Actually I have more than two, but here's the top two.

Old school: 54 P bass reissue with a U shaped neck that splits the difference between P and J width, hidden dummy coil, no pickguard, no front wiring route, non-reverse tuners, low mass four saddle bridge, set-screw output jack cup, and a sleeve around the pickup to prevent catching the E or G string on the edge of the bobbin.

New school: A four string version of a Warwick Thumb Single Cut. Maple neck, ebony board, single pickup in the 54 P bass sweet spot, 18V vol/bass/treb electronics, Strat-style output jack on the back of the body, Hipshot D-tuner.

16. Something that looks like a Gibson RD, plays like a Reverend Rumblefish, and sounds like a G&L L-2000... It could maybe be built someday.

17. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    A Precision with a '66 slab body that felt like it had a forearm contour, white-blond with a 3-ply black pick guard, '61 P slab rosewood neck, pickup switch that would miraculously switch between an Aguilar 4P-60, a DiMarzio Model P, and a Fender Fideli'Tron. And it would weigh 7 1/2 pounds.

18. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Pretty much a Lull PJ5, with Alder body and RW board.
    Currently saving up for one...

19. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Fender Mexican P-bass.

20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    5 string version of 1960 Gibson EB1.
    Or
    5 string version of Fender scpb except with a dual coil drop in and coil switching so it can sound like an scpb or a humbucker- and maple fingerboard of course.
    Or
    5 string Kay upright that got stuck in a time machine and wont start to de-laminate for at least 50 years :)
    Or
    ALL OF THE ABOVE!