1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Desktop PC speakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by joeyl, Feb 22, 2013.

1. I spend most of my time listening to music and watching movies on the home PC so it makes sense to get better speakers for it. I used to have a 5.1 Logitech that was ok but my new place does not have much space so I am looking at only 2 speakers.

I am thinking about the Audioengine A2

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A2

They have rave reviews everywhere, and they are powered so I don't need another desktop amplifier. I also think they look good.
    The bad thing is that for desktop speakers they don't have a headphone out :rollno:

Or, I could go with a small desktop amp such as the Audioengine N22

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22

and use my Polk Monitor 30 but they are kind of big to put on a small computer desk, so I may pick up the Polk TL1 Blackstone or similar.

I can't think that the only choices are Audioengine and Nuforce, what are you guys using? And what do you recommend?

thanks

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've tried M-Audio, Logitech, Sony, HP, and other speakers and no matter what I keep going back to my current setup - running my computer into a vintage Pioneer SX-780 and Pioneer bookshelf speakers.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Get a three speaker set up with a small woofer. Can be had for ~$50.

4. I used to do the same thing back in the day, Technics amplifier into JBL bookshelf speakers.

5. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Avoid the Bose desktop 2 way speaker system. Poopy (I got it cheap at B.J's & I got what I deserved) for my home laptop set up.

My office system is much better: 3 way Cambridge Sound-works powered sub setup - sadly, they are out of business...

6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I had a pair of Klipsh ones a while back that were awesome (so much so that someone stole them). They're a solid choice.

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    FTFY. Overpriced for what you get.

8. yep, I remember the marketing hype of the early 90s for Bose audio systems: great sound imaging regardless of where you stand in relation to the 4 or 5 speakers, that defied the physics of sound waves :eyebrow:

Anyway I found a semi ok deal for Audioengine speakers

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/audioengine-a2-2

I never heard of massdrop before until I was reading a review article that mentioned it.I will give it a try and update.

9. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Swipe some junk off the desk and get a pair of RoKits.

10. I have these surround-sound-speakers-z506. surround sound speakers with a 75 watt sub yeah good stuff Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506

specs:

Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer, 75W(RMS), RoHS Compliance Be moved by big, 5.1 surround sound from your music, movies and games with the Logitech Surround Sound 5.1 Z506 speaker system. Multiple inputs allow you to connect to your computer, game console, music player, DVD player or TV. 3D Stereo for surround sound from two-channel sources. 75 watts (RMS) of balanced power fills the room with sound. Features : Multiple inputs - You've got the flexibility to set up your system the way you want to. Connect your PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, iPod, DVD player, and more. Surround sound with 3D Stereo - You'll hear it all around you-even from two-channel sources. Your speakers convert two-channel stereo into an immersive surround sound experience. 75 watts (RMS) of power - You've got enough power to fill the room with sound-and even rattle a few windows. Ported, down-firing subwoofer - Deep bass brings your music, movies, and games to life. Dedicated bass control - You're in command-dial the bass up or down to for as much (or little) boom as you want. Specifications : RMS Output Power : 75 watts Satellites : 48 watts RMS (2 x 8 W front, 16 W center, 2 x 8 W rear) Subwoofer : 27 watts RMS Total peak power : 150 watts Frequency response : 45 Hz-20 kHz Cables : - Front: 2 meters - Rear: 5 meters - Center: 2.7 meters - Accessory cables: 2 meters Package Contents : Speakers 3.5 mm and six channel direct audio cables (RCA cable not included) Color-coded speaker cables User documentation

11. coliny

coliny

Jan 3, 2013
  12. I use ROkIT 5's through a PV6USB mixer

13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA

Agree. Got a pair of 8s for monitors, but get the 5s unless you have a massive desk. Sound great for the money.

14. Another +1 for the KRKs, used to run a pair of KRK RP6 SE's here, don't have the space for them any more sadly so down to using some Creative speakers (running 2.1 from a 5.1 system).