1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DGCF tuning and string gauge on a 34" scale bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jhch14, Feb 21, 2020.

1. jhch14

jhch14

Feb 21, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I recently changed my tuning from EADG to DGCF on my Yamaha BB1200s (34¨scale). The problem is that I´m using light gauge strings (40-100 DR Hi Beams (round wounds)), and now my bass lacks ¨punch¨.

I would like to have the loose feel of the down-tuned light gauge strings to some extent, but improve the tone. I have some issues with hand fatigue, so that is one reason why I changed tunings.

I was thinking of trying different brands and gauges, but with the premise of keeping it low tension while at the same time not sacrificing a lot of tone. I´m willing to compromise a little bit on the tone department though, in favor of ease of playing.

I play both fingerstyle and pick, with a light touch.

- I want to experiment with different string types, so what would be your recommendation for round wounds, flat wounds and tape wounds?

- For round wounds: Would a 45-105 DR DDT (Hex Core?) set work? That is my first option right now.

Thank you all very much!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. I recently strung up my Fender Jazz with GHS Pressurewounds M7200 (44-62-84-106) for DGCF, and they're working out great. Comfortable tension/stiffness without feeling too loose or floppy.

If you like the tone of the Hi Beams 40-100 in EADG, you can always try one size bigger, 45-105, for DGCF.

Check out this thread as well: D Standard Club (DGCF)

3. DR DDTs are specifically designed for down-tuning, and as such, they're quite a bit stiffer-feeling than the Hi Beams due to a relatively large hex core.

You might also want to check out the Stainless Steel Lo-Riders (45-105, hex core) as a slightly stiffer alternative to the Hi Beams.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Greetings, jhch14

I think you may be "chasing your tail" in this, as using heavier strings in the down-tuning will make it feel the same way as the 40-100 set in standard tuning.

With hand fatigue, I think this is going to be all about proper setup, particularly the string action at the first fret, which if I remember right, can be as little as 22/1000"

Another thing to consider is looking for round core, rather than hex core, bass strings. Like for instance, the DR Neons and several others. The round core wire has a much more supple feel.

But what we really need is to make sure the setup is 100%. You shouldn't be working too hard on those "money zone" notes.

5. jhch14

jhch14

Feb 21, 2020

Thanks! I will definitely check those strings out

6. jhch14

jhch14

Feb 21, 2020
    Thank you very much! I will definitely keep all that in mind.

7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I'll second the kind words for the GHS M7200 set. I put them on my fretless for DGCF last month and they feel and sound fantastic

jhch14 and michael_t like this.
  8. jhch14 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021