Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI Box or Good Sound card

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JumboNewJack, May 19, 2005.

1. I'm currently running my bass into my DAW and I get serious clipping. I have to play the strings so lightly its unplayable. Somebody on another forum said I need to get a DI Box to solve this. Should I get a DI box (i've seen a few for around $70-$100), or shell out extra to get a good soundcard ( I currently have the SB Live). I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if a good soundcard like from M-Audio or Cubasis will also handle the clipping issues like a DI box would.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    how are you currently connecting your bass to your computer? usually, the signal is way too low to clip the computers inputs.

3. connecting through a M-Audio USB Fast Trac into Tracktion Host. Even with the input gain on the M-Audio low and the gain on the track input low, it will still clip occassionally. But at those low levels the sound is too low.

4. It sounds to me that you are pluging your bass into the Mic Input on your SB sound card. This Mic Input is very hot (lots of gain) and is not meant for the pickups on your bass.

Do you have an amp? If so I would use the line out or headphones out on the amp to go into the Line in on the Sound Blaster sound card. These two outputs on the back of your amp might vary in volume output so start off by turning eveything down and slowly raising it up. Try both to see which one works better.