1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    OK, so here's my situation:

I'm using a V-Bass setup along with my regular magnetic pickups. They are wired independently (I want to preserve this). I have my magnetics going into my Fishman Platinum Pro DI, and the GK cable into my V-Bass.

OK, so currently, I have the output of each going to a mixer, then to a DI to FOH and also to my power amp for monitoring.

Looking at the Radial JDI, (which I am thinking about getting) I see that the "thru" can be combined with the regular input to sum both inputs to mono to the XLR out. This would be great because I wouldn't need a mixer anymore, and send both (magnetics and V-Bass signals) to the house board.

Except...

By doing so, I obviously lose the "thru" on the JDI and have no way to send the summed signal to myself for monitoring. :meh:

The only thing I can think of is some type of "splitter" after the XLR out on the Radial, but I'm not sure if this will work in the manner I want, and/or any affect it may have on tone either to myself or the FOH guy.

It seems with my current setup, there's no way around using a mixer, but I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom around here just in case I'm missing something....?:eyebrow:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah, I thought about something like that. Problem is, it only seems to have XLR I/O. I would need a balanced XLR to 1/4" TRS cable to input to my power amp, no?

I might have one those lying around tho...need to check.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    And if you like Radial, they also make a Jenson equipped splitter (JS-2).

A 2-in 2-out active mixer would be trivial to build. You could even build in the DI (although it would probably be not as high quality as the JDI).

Of course the advantage of the passive DI/splitter is that you do not need power.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, I suppose I could have been a bit more specific with my original post. I know there are options out there...I was just looking for the most cost-effective way of going about things; though both of you have good suggestions. The main thing is that my tone shaping is done by the time I get to the DI stage.

I really just need a splitter/combiner I guess, since ideally, a 2 (1/4") in summed to mono and split to both an XLR and 1/4" identical output is what I'm really looking for. Of course, I already have that with my mixer, I was just looking for possible ways to downsize/simplify.

EDIT: OK, I've had a chance to check some stuff out so I can now form a more coherent thought. What I need is a "box of some type" that has the following characteristics:

2 inputs that can be combined. XLR or 1/4" is fine, or combination. Like a dual DI box, but with 2 outs.

2 parallel outs (ideally one XLR and one 1/4", but 2 XLR will work) with identical outputs of the summed inputs.

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey, that Direct2-JT looks like a winner. Otherwise, if the connectivity is not exciting to you, what about a Rane SM6-B splitter-mixer? I use and dig those. It doesn't have a DI or XLRs, but you could do all of the signal processing through the Rane and then send the final output to a simple DI.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't think that will do what you want. It is two DIs in a box. The DIs are not connected. So you would still need a splitter.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    But the website says the 2 inputs can be combined. The only issue is whether the same summed signal would be present at both outputs.

"1/4" parallel wired IN / THRU jacks, or may be converted to dual inputs with handy COMBINE buttons."

Seems like it would solve half my problem, but it doesn't say what happens at the outputs.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. Say you combine input #1 + thru #1, then out #1 would give the combo, but since there is nothing in input #2 or thru #2, output 2 is silent

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    That would probably do the trick. But I was hoping for something smaller, not a rackmount unit.:meh:

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Tend to mess with the tone. Also, being that the output of the Vbass is active, it may be quite a bit hotter than the output of the reg'lar pickups, and so outrun them. I'd be concerned with the output of the Vbass loading the magnetic pickups and futzing with the tone tho, firstly. There are passive impedence mixers, dunno how or if they deal with the loading issue tho. I'd get the smallest, least feature laden mixer I could find, and use that to send my DI as well as feed my onstage amp. Something like those tiny Behringer mixers, only I'd find a brand that was more reliable.....

HTH, a little

Lee

14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL

Hey Lee. Well, that's what I have now. I kinda figured that some kind of active mixing was the only way to go really...I was just hoping there might be some other option.

Alas....

:bawl:

15. EBS to the rescue!!!

The MicroBass II will do this handily. Here's what you do:

Select A+B mode, plug the pickup with the lowest output level into ch.A and the other into ch.B. Both channels will be mixed equally and can be trimmed using the boost control on Ch.A, there's some EQ controls if needed, and the overall level can be set by the volume control.

The unit has one balanced XLR output and one 6.5mm output for your power amp. It ALSO has a dry link output, although I am unsure how that reacts when in A+B mode. As an added bonus it also has an FX loop and a cab sim setting for the DI output. Plus, if you ever wish to use just one of your pickups, just take it out of A+B mode and you can switch between them at a whim!

One box solution.

16. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    That does seem like it would be what I'm looking for.

Pretty friggin' steep tho....

Hmmmmm.....

17. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow, does it do the dishes too? The only problem is the price: $800, OUCH!

Marcus, you might be able to drop the Fishman Platinum Pro however. Channel A is 10M but dosen't have quite the EQ or the compressor of the Fishman. It does have a tube simulator.

18. It's a top quality unit, built like a tank, sounds great, includes similar circuitry to that found in EBS heads and pedals. (Overdrives just like the Unidrive.)

$800 of whose dollars? I got mine for AUD$600 which is about US$435. Plus, we always pay a premium down here, so you should be able to get it cheaper than me!

19. Why don't you want to just continue to use the mixer as you have been - it seems the cheapest, simplest solution, no? Am I missing something?

20. Seems he was attracted by the idea of a one box solution to his situation.

If I were in the OPs shoes, I'd want to get away from a mixer too. They're big, slightly cumbersome, difficult to tweak sometimes, and the small units are generaly of inferior quality.

I used to do sound for a band who's sax player had effects and a mixer. If he didn't get his gain structure set just right we'd have trouble with it all night. There's so many points in a rig like that where you can induce distortion or unwanted tone colouration. I hated that rig with a passion because everytime it sounded like crud everyone would look at me, the soundguy, as if I were to blame.