DI with Orange AD200b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low Sound Love, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Hi guys

I got to play an Orange AD200b all-tube head this weekend, absolutely loved it! I always thought I'd end up with an SVT-CL, but the Orange just instantly delivered the sound I was after.

One thing bugs me though: the Orange does not have an output for DI like the Ampegs do. Is it possible to place a DI so that it does capture the pre-amp's tone? I noticed there is a 'slave output' on the rear panel of the AD200b but I don't know if that can be used to hook up a DI. No use to get a great growlin' tube amp if all that gets deliverd to FOH is pre pre-amp signal ...

Ideally I'd let my cab be mic'ed when I play live, but I need to be sure to have a plan B for when we come across a specially hard-headed soundman. :rolleyes:

2. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    I would do it that way!
    Isnt the slave out just a post-preamp link in case you need another poweramp? So that you can use the signal to feed another poweramp with it?
    Another option would be using some kind of device to pick up the signal between your poweramp and your cab. That would be more expensive and I do not know what the standard device in the us is.

3. Mic is probably the easiest solution but...

The Device referred to above is simply a DI box that can handle a Speaker level signal such as the Radial JDI, Avalon U5 and I think the Countryman can do it as well? Even some of the cheap behringer ones can do it...

although you should just be able to plug the slave out into a standard DI box and send to FOH as well...

4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    They make DI's like the Radial JDI and the Countryman DI that can be used after the power amp. I would go that route for a tube amp.

5. i use a country man between my AD200 and my cab, works perfectly, fantastic, fat DI tone as its post power amp section!

outoftune likes this.
  6. so what it comes down to is that there are DI's that can be put between the amp's speaker output and the cab's input? Is that a correct summary? If so, what determines which DI's can or can't be put there?
    thanks for the info guys!

7. Most DI's specification show the maximum wattage the DI can take, if no mention of wattage then it's probably not a DI which can be put on the speaker signal, also an property is the thru connector which is the connecter where the second speakercable comes out to your cab.

8. Pretty much. The manufacturer determines if it can handle a powered signal. Some very common, and very popular DI's can do it.
    Every soundman worth a grain of salt knows and respects the Radial JDI and the Countryman Type 85 DI boxes. I would buy one of those if i was you. Both work great, both bullet proof.

-RTK

9. Ok, you've pointed me in the right direction and I've done a quick search for the JDI manual, and I've found this:
    so linking the amp to the cabinet as usual, then going from another cab jack to the JDI should be exactly what I need. thanks!

10. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    TBer Bassboysam uses the JDI with his Matamp rig. Shoot him a PM for hookup instructions and other tips. You can find him in the Stoner/Doom thread.

11. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    The JDI works great this way.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A speaker cable goes to the Countryman then another from the Countryman to the cab. An XLR output on the Countryman takes the signal to the DI.
    Sounds warm and fat.

13. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Don't forget to set the input to "SPEAKER".

Also, the JDI has a built in speaker sym that's worth checking out.

14. thanks for that info!

so is there anything between them? they're both available at my fav e-store at the exact same price, unfortunately testing them both will not be an option. so choosing would be likely come down to tossing a coin.
    My tone is T-bird into dirty tube amp with all sorts of effect pedals to spice things up further, and a dynamic heavy pick attack, should that matter.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I can speak about the Countryman. If you own one it's fabulous with a bass directly into a board when recording. It also sounds great with acoustic guitar so it can see multiple uses.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021