Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have been looking for a tone "shaper" effect. i don't want a delay or chorus distortion,but something more like an EQ pedal possibly a D.I. Any suggestions. The only thing im against in sansamp DI i really don't like them. I don't know anything about the MXR pedals. thanxs:D

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

I'm a fan of the mxr. And if you're going to have an eq, might as well go all out and get a di

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow- you have a ton of choices. Some of the premier DI's that you describe would be:

The Sadowsky

[​IMG]

And for EQ/none DI's

The Fodera:

[​IMG]
    The John East:

[​IMG]

These are plenty of $$$, so some less expensive options:

MXR M-80:
    [​IMG]

The Hartke Bass Attack (this has a DI)

[​IMG]

And the Aphex:

[​IMG]

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Why would you be against SansAmps??? If you turn blend all the way off, it's just an EQ/DI. There's no dist, tube emulation when the blend is off (drive does't have any effect)...

If you don't like the "Lack of Mid" on the Bass Driver, try the Para Driver:
    [​IMG]

I have one and think it's the best thing since sliced bread!

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i dunno its like every single on e i have played has only had ok results the overdrive tone is horrible(my opinion). The lows dropped out(could have been the bass). The quality seemed ok.

I don't really want to spend anything more that $250USD i have no idea how much those DI's cost. The sadowsky looked expensive

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No one has uttered the B word here.
    [sshhh - Behringer]

$29.

7. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Does MXR have a D.I pedal without an Overdrive or distorion? I don't want any pedal with overdrive/distortion.

8. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    you could just use the m-80 with the drive all the way down...

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    why do that if i can just get a pedal with out it??

Are there are any DI/EQ pedals with multipule presets???

10. The only one I know is the new programable sansamp, that you already don't want. I just bought one and like it alot. I'm not here to sell you on it but try one if it's the mids you have a problem with just turn down the bass or treble it will boost mids. I also have a J-retro that is like the EQ/DI stomp box and is great, and the box is by-passable, but no multiple presets. For the price of the behringer DI you could buy a couple and have multiple presets, just a thought.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i have never tried proggramable Sans amp?? i'll give it a try

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I just bought the MXR today. It seems like it will work well for the following reasons: The clean channel has a lot of gain and makes my amp sound huge. The color switch adds tube-like warmth.
    The distortion channel is switchable and this as much as anything made me buy it over the SansAmp. My cover band plays a few songs that need a dirtier sound, so a switchable distortion is important to me.
    The noise gate is a nice feature.

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Sorry, I now see that you don't even want distortion on the pedal. The clean side of the pedal is a very nice sounding preamp. First and foremost, I wanted that. The distortion is a bonus, only when needed. If you go to the Dunlop site and read the Bass Player review, it might help you.:D :D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Got one.

It works exactly like it says it does.

However, I don't know if this matters to you or not but it does change your tone a little bit.

I have no prob with it. Very versatile device.

:D

Joe.

16. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i was looking at the bassbone. Its going to be hard to get a hold of to try out same with sadowsky.

I was flippin through Guitar World's BAss Guitar and i saw an ad for an MXR blow tourch does anybody know anything abou that?

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I recently bought a Bass Xciter, and while it is really good, I don't think it's what I need. I'd sell it to a TBer if anyone is interested. Otherwise, I think it's new enough that I can just send it back. But, before doing so, I'll offer it to a TBer for a break if anyone is interested.