1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did anyone here buy this Ransom bass on eBay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 2, 2013.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    Hard to tell if those are pits or birdseyes on the fretboard. Looks like a hell of a bass nonetheless. Good deal for somebody, I'm sure. Good to know those still happen on eBay.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I thought that was birdseye. There is a decent amount of rust, which surprised me...but I bet it'll be a fantastic bass with some cleanup and a new set of strings.

4. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Wow. Score.

5. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey, yes, I actually just joined the forums to find more information on the bass. But yeah, I had been watching this for a while... did my research and thought this looked like one heck of a bass for about the price of a Squier :)

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, but will the bass carry around your armor and weapons for you? Or groom your steed while you make coitus with the fair maidens?

Oh...you meant Squier...silly me ;)

7. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    CRAP!! yeah, I LOVE auto-correct, there... fixed it!

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Awesome. I understand that Dan Ransom does build work for some of the boutique name brands...but for some reason his own customs have been flying under the radar. I've played a few of his instruments and was impressed each time, even when the specifications weren't "me." This is going to be a good one I predict...please post your thoughts once it arrives! If the timing was a little different, I might have gotten into a late bidding war with you, but you got lucky. ;)

Great score and welcome to TalkBass. :)

9. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    I most certainly will. I should get it in this next Tuesday.

10. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    when looking at a bass like this on ebay, not in person, and seeing the rust. do you give any thought to the idea of it being damaged by the hurricane?
    there has to be a large number of instruments out there that have been a little submerged, or well maybe a lot submerged in storm water and put back into circulation.

11. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the buzzkill on the new purchase. Just kidding. You know, the thought did cross my mind... By the look of the placement of rust on the output jack and the small pitting that I see on the tuner, it looked to me like it was perhaps played / left on a stand in a place with lots of humidity. At $312 I'm not that concerned as the wood of the body / neck still looked good. We will see though on further inspection when it arrives.

12. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Great score. I've owned three Ransom basses. Dan is a great builder. He's been a Bay Area secret for 30 years, working with Gary Brawer at Real Guitars. Dan helped design some of the earliest Modulus basses. His stuff is high quality and always feels right in your hands. Wish I would have seen that auction earlier. Congrats on the score.

13. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks! I do have a quick question. Does anyone know some contact info for Dan? I'd love to pick his brain on who this was made for / some specifics on the bass. I googled him and found what looked to be a very old site for "Real Guitars". Not sure if he is still there.

14. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Real Guitars is still there - as are Dan and Gary. Its on Lafayette street in San Francisco. Dan and Gary share space in the back of the shop. Dan's phone number is (415) 864-3281. You can also reach him by calling Gary Brawer Stringed Instrument repair at (415) 621-3904.

15. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    o_O Good Lord, that was a great score! The output jack is a simple fix if the rust bothers you, aside from that I don't see any water damage. Enjoy playing the heck out of it...or sell it to me and I'll do that for you ;)

16. richgable

richgable

Apr 3, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the info!

17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Yeah I was watching the bass too- but $314 for the winning bid was $314 more than I have to spare this week so good score! well done.

18. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Nice. A 6-string Ransom (serial #007!) was my main bass for years.

19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Dan built my Supersonic neck for me to my specs - I absolutely love playing it! Dan's the man!

Amazing price you paid for a luthier made bass Rich - crazy really -enjoy it!

acwfu7ce.

acmCHBdY.

acnx6cco.

20. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    That's a sweet looking bass. Love the color too.