Did I overreact?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by G On Bass, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You did the right thing. With any luck the anti vax issue should be self-correcting (and Walmart will have more available parking).

Eric Lester likes this.
  2. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Yet another "you did the right thing" post. You have to weigh the risks as they apply to you personally and your family and friends. Risk management is not simple and I don't blame people for taking either of the "zero risk" or "when it's time it's time" approaches, as long as they don't force it on me! And for some people, because of family or job, very-low risk is the only acceptable option because the consequences are very high. Those with higher risk tolerance *must* be creative and flexible to accommodate those people, or stop associating with them altogether.

I play regularly at a "not 100% safe" risk level, because of patrons and the occasional mask denialist. I accept this risk as a cost of retaining my sanity. Forgetting personal safety, this means I still might be a carrier at any given time, so I use extra careful distancing practices with neighbors and strangers.

I think the important thing is: it's not fun if it's not consensual.

3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    You did right. Btw today I spent time writing code to filter the now-dead people out of the list of clinically vulnerable people we deal with, so I applaud extra caution even if it seems excessive. Apologies if that's politicising and delete if it is. At least it's another NBD :)

Mr_Moo, dkelley and Pulverizor like this.
  4. You know, when we came out of total lock down in the fall/early winter in Toronto, one band I was in did a few outdoor rehearsals in a large backyard. It was actually a revelation to a few members of the band who were used to tight, loud, cramped rehearsal spaces. We could hear each other perfectly and didn't feel the need to turn up nearly as loud. I didn't even have to wear my earplugs.

There's definitely a benefit to rehearsing outside if you can.

Then we locked down again...

5. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I assume that my drummer talks about me that way, but I've definitely earned that.

6. I don't blame the guy who didn't want to move stuff and rehearse outside. It's not like you're going to be gigging in the next few weeks, it just seems like kind of a waste of time right now. I wouldn't have wanted to haul a bunch of stuff to someone's backyard for a one off rehearsal either. Most people should be vaccinated within a couple months so I would have just proposed holding off a bit longer.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I think you did right.

I pretty much did the same thing a while back. Band wanted to get together in the rehearsal space to get going with a new singer. The numbers were off the charts in my area at the time, there were no gigs on the horizon, and if there were gigs - I didn't think I would want to do them. Told the guys that I wasn't ready, and they were free to move on without me. They did.

It sucks, but I'm not totally broken up about it. I've had two offers for auditions since then, and I've turned both down.

I had it back in June, and I was sick for a little over two weeks - not bad, but not great. I feel pretty lucky. I know a girl at work, who is younger and probably healthier than me and she missed like 3-4 months of work because of it. My wife saw a neighbor last night who just got over it and was told that she will have breathing problems for the rest of her life.

I know we take risks every day, germs and viruses are everywhere, and you could walk out your door and get hit by a bus... but 500,000 dead and millions more with long term problems. It could be like catching a cold from one of the guys during a jam session, or it could be devastating. You just don't know and you gotta calculate that risk.

Mr_Moo, dkelley, GregC and 2 others like this.
  8. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    That was the right move from a public health standpoint as well as a personal standpoint. Bands will come and go. Covid kills people. Easy choice.

Mr_Moo, dkelley and GregC like this.
  9. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Overreact? Hell no. The 2 people I know directly who got COVID got it indoors, not masked, near someone who had been exposed.

Mr_Moo and dkelley like this.
  10. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    To add to my reply before: I had joined a band back in early 2020 that got shut down pretty quickly due to Covid, but we all remained connected and I assumed just on pause. Then last week I saw a Facebook post of the band saying “we’re rehearsing and can’t wait to get back out there!!” —with another bass player in the pic. I guess I got fired/replaced. But I don’t care, I hadn’t spent enough time to bond too much with them and I wouldn’t have started rehearsing anyway because I’m not introducing that into my risk profile. I’ll form something else when the time is right. So will you.

11. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Right move.

12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Right move!

13. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    You made the right call, I would have done the same in your situation.
    I have 2 extended family members at high risk which means they haven't been able to see their grand kids for over 6 months. It sucks, but the risk is too great. Nothing is more important than the health of your loved ones.

14. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

So imagine that instead, you rehearsed indoors, was exposed to covid, and that resulted in asymptomatic spread to your recovering family member who dies as a result.

Then ask yourself that question.

I'm as anxious as the next person to get back out and play. I see bands in my area looking for a bass player, and while I think I would be an excellent fit, I'm not even pursuing it until both my wife and I are fully vaccinated. There is absolutely no way I'm going to risk her health, let alone my own, for the sake of practicing with a band. I'd never be able to forgive myself.

Life is short enough as it is. No need to hasten it.

15. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    @G On Bass , right move. my cover band just had our first rehearsal since the shutdown March 2020! It was outside on a extra large driveway. we did minimal set-up, I used a cheap d class combo amp, we didn't mike the horns, etc... and it was SUPER fun. yeah, we were very sloppy on the songs, but we had a great time.

I'm more surprised that the other guys would rather see you leave the band than accommodate your situation for one rehearsal?!!? IMO, you're probably dodging a bullet.

Mr_Moo, dkelley and Pulverizor like this.
  16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    earth
    right move for sure...dafudge is wrong with ppl. Play it safe and live longer

17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You did the right thing. Your situation sounds like the band I ended up leaving back in the spring. Everyone else wanted to go on practicing indoors with unmasked singers. I politely told them to find another bass player, which they did and kept going. The BL and his wife ended up with Covid. Not sure if any other band members got it, but I'm glad I made the decision I did.

gebass6, Mr_Moo and dkelley like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.