1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I ruin my VU meter?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BasslineFrenzy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Greetings everybody. I recently picked up a near-perfect condition EV Dynacord Vector mixer (16 ch.) for a very, very tasty price. And folks, I wonder if I made a bit of a mistake here.

When I got the mixer, I did try everything out and everything functioned properly. But, when I returned home, as probably many of us do, I continued to perform various tests even though I knew it worked.

Now, let me mention that my brain was running on fumes when I returned home, after a long day at work which followed a restless night of sleep.

This is where I proceeded to run one of my active basses through the line input. The VU meters worked properly for a little bit, but now both left and right VUs are stuck at around 0db. But, with a powerful signal, the needles do react, only to settle back down to around 0db.

So... what is going on here? Did my fatigued brain kill my VUs? PS - I am still fatigued as I am typing this.

I'm going to bed now...

zzzzzzzzzzzz

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It would be highly unlikely that the output of any active bass would do anything to the VU meters. It was probably something else. Maybe you accidentally turned the calibration screws.

3. Hmm okay... Well, I will add one more thing. At the time the VUs decided to goof up, I unplugged and plugged into a different channel. (I was testing all of the functions of each channel at the time... just to make sure everything was spiffy). Prior to that, everything worked properly. I switched channels several times before, without problems. Would sliding the jack in cause something to briefly short, similar to the pop of plugging/unplugging from a live amp?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Weird. Maybe you caused a short, with the unplugging/plugging? Unlikely, but who knows.

5. Haha, I just edited the last post to include that guess. Nice timing :ninja:

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Maybe you just found out why you got such a "tasty price"? Intermittent problems will make you NUTZ!