1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did this dad overreact??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Sep 13, 2008.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
  2. As a father with two daughters, I would. Strange naked dude in my house? He'd be lucky if the hospital was able to staple his ass back together. I don't mean that as an internet threat. I'm serious. I have a small collection of little league bats that are great for swinging in close quaters. He'd be carried out of my house.

Mike

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    "The father was charged with aggravated battery on a child and bonded out on $10,000."

i'm guessing neither were of legal age.

either way, doesn't give anyone the right to hurt anyone else. i'd expect a lawsuit from the boy's family as well.

4. CHILD can be defined fairly liberally. If you found a naked dude in your daughter's bedroom when you were not aware your daughter was dating anyone, would you bother checking his ID and would it matter if he was 16-17 or not? I wouldn't care. You got the balls to come in my house you better have the balls to deal with the consequences. That goes for pretty much anyone that gets in my house and is capable of doijng my family harm, regardless of legal standing.

Mike

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Double standard. What if it was a son with a naked chick in his bed? The father would probably cheer his son on.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I would have done the same thing.

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    +1

also... acting out of anger in the heat of the moment almost always lead to the worst and stupidest choices.

8. Generally (and statistically) I'm more worried about my daughter being raped than my son (if I had one). Not knowing that his daughter had a boyfriend, this is very possibly what went through the guy's head as he chased the dude.

So again, naked guy in my house that I don't know? Getting a beatdown. Heat of the moment or not, we are not sitting down for an interview so I can find out what he's up to.

Mike

9. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

I am thinking the same way. Theres a movie out called Felon with Val kilmer and its about a guy that takes a bat to a would be burglers head after he chases him out of the house into his yard and kills him. He was protecting his wife and kid. He gets prison time because he kills the guy outside his house and since the guy was running away he was never really a threat. I am sure your adrenalin builds when in this type of situation and who knows what a father would do to protect his family.

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    CHILD means CHILD

he was 15.

here is the story.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD02091208.htm

age of consent for males in florida is 16. should the female be charged with statutory rape?

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If I saw my son with a naked chick, I'd give him a high 5. Well, probably I'd just make him pancakes for breakfast.

I don't know many guys that've been raped by women.

If I had a daughter, and I saw some naked dude, I would beat the ever living poopake mushrooms out of him.

12. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    While this is true, I feel like it's more of a "daddy's innocent little girl" situation. For instance, we all know of the old" dad cleaning the shotgun while waiting the arrival of his daughter's prom date" scenario. I have a feeling that even if the father knew the guy, he wouldn't be too happy catching them being intimate.

13. People get killed here in New Orleans by 15 year olds. Again, i'm not taking ID's before handing out an ass beating. In that situation, unaware that my daughter is dating anyone, with a naked guy in her bedroom that i have never met, I'm not interviewing him. That is my house and he is a stranger without an invitation. If he's smaller, he gets once chance to sit down and get real compliant. You can't honestly tell me that you would sit an univited stranger IN YOUR HOME down and find out what his business is, can you?

Sorry. not me. Thankfully, my kids aren't that dumb yet and hopefully won't be when they reach that age.

Mike

14. I'm prepared for the inevitable. It'll happen and I won't be much of the decision. But dumbasses better know enough not to climb into my house where they can be mistaken for an univited guest. "Daddy's little girl" and "weird guy i don't know in my house" are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

Mike

15. I've almost been on the receiving end of a similar situation (managed to talk myself out of the beating portion of it ;)...although there were some differences, it was at 4pm and I had re-clothed myself and just stepped out of the room). Based on the time of day, I don't believe he overreacted at all. I probably would've gone in swinging if it was the middle of the night.

16. I'm a Dad with 3 girls.

Given the circumstances that he was unaware his daughter was having those kind of relations, combined with his perception there was a naked "stranger" standing over his daughter in her room, I can understand the reaction.

But when Dad kicked open the door, the intruder was effectively trapped save escaping via a window, so to me Dad had ample opportunity to make a more informed decision before justifying the use of weapons that may kill.

So yes I think he over-reacted and the punishment fair for the assault.

A jury of 12 will disagree with me, especially those in weapon friendly "law into my own hands" communities. But thats my opinion.

I'm just glad to read he didn't pick up a 12-gauge etc.

17. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    A boy in my daughters bedroom (when I have a daughter) had better be married to her. The day my baby girl is born will be the day I buy a 12gage.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    He should have beat the daughter for sneaking a boyfriend into the house.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Why do fathers have to be such idiots when it comes to their daughters ?
    WHat happened to trusting your little girl and respecting her choices ?
    Do you think you own her or what ? Are you affraid she won't be worth as much money if she's not a virgin anymore ?
    One might consider a 15 yo couple too young for sex and it could be a valid point. These cases solve by discussion, not pipe beating.

20. As a father of three girls I see my role as empowering them to make their own decisions.

At legal age I have no right to enforce my beliefs on them anymore. I want to raise adults able to make informed mature decisions, not control my children until I decide to release them from my grip!

Ooops - JazzAd beat me to it!