1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Didn't get paid for a gig :(

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassistjoe93, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    So... I played a black gospel gig back in October. I had a blast, music was off the chain, people loved it, met some new insane musicians, etc. Well the leader of the event, who was a friend of mine, said he was gonna pay me for my work. I had three weeks of rehearsals and personal work and time put into this gig, really complex music. Well we played for 6 hours or so and he and the pastor said they'd get with me the coming week and settle with me. I always wait around after gigs to get my money but I decided to go ahead and leave it with him because I know him and have known him for years...... Fast forward nearly 2 months, and no money. I set up at least 10 different meetings with him up until now and he never showed up once to any of them. I finally sent him a less than pleasant voicemail and just basically told him how disappointed I was, not to call me for future gigs and just keep the damn money. No response since. The worst part is, I'm a college student so money is really tight. All my money gets spent on gas for my 40 mile commute to college. It's my first time getting screwed out of money from a gig. Sorry for the downer, but I just wanted to share.... I'm bummed :(

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I'd have gotten the Pastor involved since it seems the two had agreed to sort it out with you.

No one gets away without paying me, ever. I could usually live without the cash but the principle really irks me, and I hate myself afterwards for getting walked on. The worst thing is that you are complicit in the next guy getting ripped off if you stand for it yourself.

I guarantee this will bother you for a long time, or you wouldn't have posted here. Send him a public message on fb, tell the Pastor, call him and tell him you are not quitting until the money is in your account, etc. No threats, nothing to lower yourself to his level, just calm insistence and planting the seed in his mind that this will not go away, and will grow to cause him as much discomfort as it has caused you. he is a thief, simple as that, and must bow to Bass Justice.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Bummer it is, all I can suggest is to learn from it. Two things stick out: You admitted defeat and you may have left a nasty voice mail.

Defeat, that really only means you are never seeing the $, which may have been the case anyway, I've reminded...NAGGED people so much for past due funds they have paid up to get me out of their hair.

Voicemail, like I said I don't know what was said, but other sides of the story tend to get left out. If someone enjoyed your work at the service they may ask the leader who stiffed you for your info and he may tell them only how you are tough to work with and leave out how he didn't pay you.

We've all been there.

4. Churches, especially small ones, are hella sketchy with cash in my experience. The best policy to adopt would be one involving payment up-front. Maybe not for every gig but definitely for the churches if you're doing the hired gun thing. Contact the pastor or other members of the church if you can. Good luck to ya for sure but know that the chances are slim. You'd be surprised (or maybe not?) at how many thieves and cons there are at the top of a church's food chain.

Also, if you've already burned the bridge on this one I say go the whole 9 and blow up his Facebook page if he has one and you guys are still Facebook friends. Even if he deletes the messages someone will see them and they'll know what kind of man he is.

5. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Basic rules of life - never expect payment from people who make a living selling "dreams." I never work for churches or politicians, as they normally assume that we share their dream.

Hope that doesn't cross any topical forum boundaries, but I got burned once by each years ago and have seen more than a few friends burned the same way. FWIW.

6. Well that sucks. I'd go to the pastor, at least give them a chance to do the right thing.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    He's a pastor? I wouldn't be against getting up in front of his mass and asking for the money he owes you. Be sure to note the time you put into preparing for the gig, how long you gigged for, when he told you he'd pay you buy, and how long it has been since that date. Then stress how much he has avoided paying you and that he hasn't fulfilled his end of the contract. I'm willing to bet the second he sees you make a move he'll stop his service and write you a check real quick.

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Next time,get a contract.

9. Scogman

Scogman

Apr 20, 2011
    Bangkok Thailand
    File a case in small claims court against him. Chances are he won't show and you will get a default judgement. This will be public record and will go on the credit report. Next time he tries to buy a car or house a judgement could put a monkey-wrench in the works. If he does show you still have a good chance at getting a judgement. Yes it's a pain in the ass.

I'm not a litigious person but I've learned over the years that there are certain people that will ignore your requests forever and the only time they will react is if there are lawyers, police, or judges involved.

Never threaten to file a suit. These type of people have heard that before from other people they've screwed and nothing came of it. They will laugh off any threat like that. I've found that the reaction is totally different when the judge rules against them. I've not had to do it very many times, but every time I did, I ended up getting paid.

10. Taking him to court would work great, but the OP already told him to keep the money and never call him again etc.

If the guy that screwed the OP over was prepared for court at all he would have a recording of the nasty voice mail and have proof that the OP said not to worry about the money.

11. Scogman

Scogman

Apr 20, 2011
    Bangkok Thailand
    Good point. Forgot about that while I was writing. Maybe leave another voicemail reversing the 'keep the money' with a witness. Or rescind the "keep the money' in writing, file small claims hoping for the chance the guy does not show and get a default judgement, and if he does explain the anger in the call and the rescinding of the 'keep the money' and hope for the best.

With whatever happens I sincerely wish the OP good luck. I hate when people screw over others like this.

12. Man, I like your style... :D

Preacher man better be digging into the collection plate....lol!!!! :bassist::D

13. Seems like the OP has already giving this guy more than enough chances. If the pastor had planned on paying, it would have been done by now. I'm also with the folks who say that you should write up a contract for future performances and take this guy to court for this particular gig. Assert yourself and show him you mean business.

14. James knows wassup.

15. I'd speak to the pastor first....they might not know. If that does no good, further measures are certainly worth considering.

I would say this whatever the gig. Not just churches. You fight, it causes people to fight back. Sometimes you get what you want without a fight by a thoughtful response. Sometimes you decide it's not worth a fight.

But if you have to fight, don't muck about.

16. Just the threat of going up in front of the congregation will work, been there done that! Used to have a local cop that would collect bad checks on the side for my business, preacher man don't like nobody messin' with his cash cow.

17. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Chalk it up to paying him to showing you his true colors. It's going to save you time in the future.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering.....did anyone else get paid?

19. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Don't worry my son. What you've earned is the right to go to GC, steel one bass, and STILL go to heaven!

But don't get too greedy, the coupon is only worth for one bass, if you get just a set of strings too much, it will cancel the deal.

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tell him you have a friend at the local paper that would love to print this story ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.