1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Difference between Nickel and Chrome?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I'm about to buy a few things for my old squier, but I can't figure something out. Some items are in chrome, and some are in nickel... What's the difference? IF I buy some chrome parts, and some nickel ones, would there be a noticeable difference in colors?

Thanks

Greg

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ugh...bump

Is this just a stupid question or something?

Greg

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    From what I remember chrome is bluer, nickel is yellower. I try to match stuff but sometimes you can't find everything you want in the same finish.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    thanks man. The reason I was asking because the gotoh tuners only come in nickel, but everything else is chrome, so I don't think it'll matter that much, or would it?

Greg

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I bought some nickel gotoh tuners for my bro's guitar, and chrome kent armstrong pickups, and they're pretty close.

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Another difference (besides the colour) is that they'll age differently. I couldn't tell you how noticeable it'll be, but they're definitely two different alloys. Personally I think you'll be fine if you have chrome at one end of the bass and nickel at the other, but someone with more experience with the two over long periods of time might have more insight.

-Nate

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    A lot of basses come with mixed hardware. I have a factory 2003 MM Stingray which has nickel tuners, but chrome bridge and chrome control plate.

Most older Fender Jazz basses are that way too. Nickel tuners, chrome control plate and bridge.

From what I can tell, chrome pits with age if not taken care of, whereas nickel just gets oxidized... much easier to polish oxidized nickel, than try and get pitting out of chrome plating.

I prefer nickel hardware, but it's hard to find all parts in nickel. Things like neck plates and control plates are impossible to find (maybe I can't find them).

On the other hand, seems as if everthing is available in chrome.

Hope that helps.