1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Differneces between the Realist and the Realist Clip

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by eriksd, Jan 26, 2012.

1. eriksd

eriksd

Aug 9, 2011
    Hey Everyone

My Realist pickup recently broke. So I sent back to the Gage shop. The tech there said it could be repaired, but he recommended replacing it. So I am trying to decide between the Realist and the Realist Clip. My concern is that the Realist may just break again, it being so fragile. And though I love the sound of the pickup on my bass, I'm not really into dropping a couple bills every couple of years for a pickup. I've read some reviews on the clip, and it seems to be a logical, more sturdy solution. That said, it's twice the price. So is it worth strapping myself and buying the more expensive pickup? Do it sound better? I'll be playing a balance of archo and pizz on it using an older German laminated 5/8th bass. I'm on the fence... Any input, or experience with either pickup is welcomed!

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Why are you having so much trouble with the Realist? I had one on my bass for about 10 years before I sold it and replaced it with a wing pick up because I was using it for more rock singer-songwriter stuff. My other bass, the one I use mainly for jazz, has had one on it for about five years. I know people talk about durability issues around here but I've never had a problem.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    It's worth doing a search on this forum for the Soundclip -- there are a few reasonably long threads, but it's not too overwhelming.

Given the design of the Soundclip and low risk of damaging it, it might be worth checking Gage's return policy and taking one for a test drive if they'll allow it. Bob Gollihur also stocks it, if Gage can't help you.

I can only say that I like it. If you do try it, don't be afraid to use your EQ (I cut a fair chunk out of the mids, but I have a very efficient and mid-forward cabinet), and experiment with different positions on the bridge and with different weights attached. IME, the differences are not subtle.

4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Bob Gollihur offers a seven day trail period on the Realist Sound Clip and I'm thinking of trying it myself, although I am still happy with my standard Realist which has been working fine on my bass since 2004.

- Steve

5. eriksd

eriksd

Aug 9, 2011
    Though I was tempted, the budget forced me to stay with the standard Realist. I use the wooden version. I'd like to see what comes up from the Gage shop in the next few years and then upgrade. I think they will do more with the SoundClip just like they've done with the Realist. I will say that the folks at the shop were awesome in taking care of me. They replaced the pickup at a discount and a luthier was able to speak with me about placement and fit to try and avoid a repeat of the problem.