Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BSW users unite!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, May 10, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Alright!! I finally got my Bass Synth Wah today and after playing around with it for a while, I can honsetly say that I'm very impressed with it. I was wondering if any other users of the BSW have any settings they would like to share (y'know, the configuration of the knobs for a nice tone)?

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Reporting for duty, I got mine only yesterday. :D

It kind of sucks that not all settings have a dry/effect control function like the envelope filter does, though, I find it a bit hard to get a sufficiently bassy sound with some "type" settings. I got the pedal to add some synth effects to my solo spots, but also wanted a slightly fuzzy sound to spice up one of our ballads. Hey, don't look at me like that, it worked in REM's "Imitation of life". :p

I realise that it is possible to reduce the pedal's attack significantly by plucking the strings very softly but I really like digging in hard. :(

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Here's something neat: you can actually make the slightly stupid "talk" presets usable. Select preset six and turn "control" all the way to the right and "range" all the way to the left. You'll end up with a nice, deep fuzzy sound which may actually work in a band setting.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've tried it before and was really impressed with the envelope filter. Actually maintained bass well. What sucked was that after trying the different settings I went back to the EF and couldn't get it to sound good again. :(

-Eric.

P.S. - I plan to give it another try soon.

5. I mainly use it for the "OctaSub" setting...

or when I'm playing in my basement trying to make weird sounds...

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the octave setting is the only reason i bought mine, it was highly recommended. i dont have much use for the rest of the stuff on it but a blend knob would have been fantastic.

7. Has anyone compared the Digitech BSW against the DOD FX25/FX25B? I am looking at a compact envelope filter and have wondered which of these have a good array of sounds that can be used in a live setting?

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah... I only use it for the Octave... killer octave. I put a nice distortion from the Rat in Front of it and get a crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy synth sound. Like a harsh Moog.

9. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    who wants mine

10. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    How much?

-Eric.

11. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    I use mine mostly on the up filter sweep, slow and deep. It sounds unreal, I can get some crazy feed back sounds when I use it with my big muff and wah, it's awsome fun, now all I need to do is learn how to make music with it :smug:

12. I'm about to buy one off a user. I heard I can get that Tom Sawyer sound and numerous other song sounds. What songs can you do with yours?

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I find envelope filters to be pedals of great disagreement. Some are too "wet" for some, others not "wet" enough for others, etc.

That said, I like my FX25B. Not as versatile as my Mini Q, but still nice enough to keep as a second filter.

The only thing I really like on the BSW is the octaver. The envelope setting isn't worth buying the pedal solely for that function. Your experience may vary.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Too lazy to get up and go to the music room for my notes but this is what I remember:

For the knob positions 3 and 4 I get the best results with SENS @ 3:00. I "buzz" the string I play with my right fingernail after I strike it. The actual effect can be manipulated by varying the attack (CONTROL) and the frequency (RANGE). I've gotten straight out synth sounds and "talking" sounds.

15. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I went to GC (see my review of that trip in the Basses section) yesterday and am convinced on this pedal. I was hoping to find a cheap used one, but I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get it from GC.

I like my EFs as wet as humanly possible with full bottom end. This pedal does it perfectly with the Range knob all the way to the left. About 1 o'clock on the range gives you that "Power of Equality" tone in the interlude.

I can't wait!!!

-Eric.

16. Does anyone have recordings of their "talking" effects in use?

And whats a good power supply for this pedal?

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have owned both and, for a bassist, there is no comparison. The DOD sucks the life out of the low end while the Digitech maintains it pretty well.

I have gotten useful/usable settings out of everything but the "talk" mode, but I'll try the settings mentioned above.

Even after getting the Deep Impact, i decided not to remove the BSW from my board and I use it quite a bit.

18. I would really like to hear all recordings possible.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Ryst, they have a few BSW sound samples @ Musician's Friend

20. I've heard those, but I'm always more interested in hearing users with them.