1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    On Sunday, I left the covers band that I've been in for over 3 years. I loved this band but in the last months it seemed to run out of steam and I wasn't enjoying it as much as before, so decided to call it a day. All very amicable, they're great guys and I'll miss them, but if it's no longer fun, it's no longer fun.

We'd lost our drummer and rhythm guitarist, got new ones in, and then they left as well after 9 months, so we got new ones again, and they've only been with us for a month. Seem like good guys, they play well.

The day after I quit, the lead guitarist also decided to leave, so that leaves the two new guys (drums and guitar) and the singer to either find new members and carry on or give it up.

I had a message from one of the new guys (guitarist) saying they would have preferred initially to find a bassist to join them as a trio rather than join an existing outfit, and that they would really like me to consider joining up with them for a project.

I must admit, I am really intrigued by this if we're gonna be playing different stuff and with a new feel, but somehow I feel like that I would be disloyal to the singer if I were to do that, I imagine he's still keen to carry on, he loves it.

What would you guys do?

2. In this situation, I would probably check out the new project. Most of the bands I have been in were formed by the contacts I made by playing with those musos in other bands. There are only so many good musicians around here that play music I'm interersted in, and bands form using musicians from previous bands. If it's a new project with newe material, it's justified, I think. But if it's a rehash of the same stuff, I would decline. Just my opinion. :)

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're interested, I would tell them that's fine, but first they should dissolve the existing band and then form a new one with the three of you. You're not betraying the singer, you already left the band he's in. But this shouldn't be they fire him and hire you back; just create a clean slate and start over as a new band.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Seems pretty normal , just remember commitment is a four letter word who's definition does't exist.

5. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I never thought I would refer to a thread of my own some day, but ... I was in a similar situation:

Just Realised I Am A Douche

As an update to that thread: the "other band" never materialized. We all went our separate ways, though only the guitarist and I kept actively playing in bands. Now, almost 3 years later, that same guitarist and I are talking of doing an instrumental surf/jam-type band with the drummer of our then-current band.

Given that so much time has passed, I really do not feel bad about it. I considered for a second going the distance and suggesting a plain-and-simple reunion. Then I realised I would be getting myself into the same old cr*p which made my musical life so miserable... Hard choice!

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    It's not a "betrayal" to play with different combinations of musicians. :)

7. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    You've already left the band,and on good terms. I see no betrayal..

8. I've played in trios before,it's a different feel and it's fun and challenging.I say go for it and keep us posted please!

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Is there any reason to believe that the two projects couldn't be pursued simultaneously? The covers band continue to seek out appropriate roster and you begin jamming with the power trio?

I can see room for former members to feel a little hurt (justified or not). I'd try and be upfront and honest with them if you value maintaining good terms with them.

10. You already left on good terms, and things didn't work out for the singer. No harm, no foul.

If I was intrigued, I would hook up with those guys. If they choose not to continue with the singer then thats on them and not you.

Good luck.

11. If it ain't fun no more, it is now a JOB.

To do a JOB that is no fun will require substantial pay,
    as in compensation.
    If the compensation is not more than adequate to compensate me for my efforts...

I'm outta there.