1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimensions of a Squier Bronco pickup rout?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 350125g0, Nov 23, 2020.

1. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    Hey. Thinking about picking up a Squier Bronco on the cheap as my first mod project. I know that the size of the pickup rout is a bit larger than the Strat-sized single-coil that sits in it, and I was thinking of throwing a Rickenbacker humbucker in there, specifically the HB1 650 that's found in the 4004. Would this pickup fit without any modification? Has anyone installed one of these into a Bronco before?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Bronco pickup is a Fender Musicmaster/Bronco/Mustang/Strat-sized guitar pickup. The rout is a bit bigger to allow adjustment and ease of assembly.

The standard upgrade so you don't have to do any routing is a rails-type Strat-style humbucker. This will get you a good round tone, depending on the model.

As for the Rickenbacker pickup, I have an HB-1 in my custom P-style bass. Will it fit as-is? No. You will need to rout out the body to make it fit. You will need a pickguard made if you want it to stay neat, as the adjustment screw holes on the pickguard are wider than the HB-1, which uses in-board screws. I modified a friend's Mini-Strat for Rick pickups (they are all the same physical size). I had to rout that body as well for the pickups to fit. He didn't want to get a new pickguard, and, well, it shows. However, if you are up to the task, and the Bronco has the narrow bridge (narrower than 2 1/4 inch "Fender Standard" on P's and J's), then yes, the HB-1 would look good and sound good.

350125g0 likes this.
  3. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    This is precisely the info I needed. Thanks!

4. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I have a chance to snag up a black Bronco locally pretty cheap. I'm ready to mod it. What replacement pickup do you recommend? I already have the classic P bass tone covered by my other guitars if that helps. Cheers.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I like the Seymour Duncan rails pickups. You can go all the way from a thinner scoop tone with their Vintage Rails to a mid heavy tone with a bridge version of a Hot Rails. The two most common replacements are the bridge version of a Cool Rails for a clean tone or the neck version of a Hot Rails for a little bit of push to the tone.

DiMarzio also has some rails humbuckers, but you have to be careful, because many of them are voiced for the Strat-style ping to the top end. If budget is an issue, GFS has three versions, of which the middle may be the better choice.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    andare likes this.
  6. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Cheers!

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I put in a DiMarzio DP181 Fast Track 1 in mine and can't imagine wanting anything hotter. It's fat and clear in both series and parallel wiring. I currently have it wired in parallel and will likely keep it there.

andare likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021