1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Combustion basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grantrudd, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    does anyone know if these are in stores yet, or if they are shipping? if so, where can i potentially get a hold of one. they look and sound soooo tasty!

thanks
    Grant

2. I don't think they've hit the dealers just yet, but you can order / preorder one from the Dingwall website...I could be wrong about the dealers, as the dealer closest to me is several hours of drive time away...I know Bass Central has them listed as 'arriving soon'

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shipping in mid October.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I would put your order in now. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are already spoken for.

5. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    cool thanks. these seem like the cheapest "cure" for my carpal tunnel (and GAS):bag:

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The 1st ones are up on the bassnw.com site!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The Bass Place near me expects a shipment in next week. I believe he said that three of them were coming in. I'm missing class that night to check them out.

8. 1174 with pickguard, and its about $30 cheaper without.

OH MAN.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  10. I wonder when the flat black with black hardware models will be availlable?

11. I understood that Matte Black ones will be in the next batch coming from the factory in China. But Sheldon Dingwall said they won't have black hardware: that's a modification you'll have to do yourself.

12. Heh. I think I've decided on one of the matt black ones for my first Combustion. Only a few hundred $$ to go until I've got enough pennies saved up to buy one....

13. guitarded

guitarded

Oct 23, 2005
    The chrome is gone. How do you like it?

Mark

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      12.4 KB
      Views:
  14. guitarded

guitarded

Oct 23, 2005
    More.

Mark

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
  15. How did you wind up with a black headstock?

16. guitarded

guitarded

Oct 23, 2005

I painted it myself.

Mark

17. that looks sick!!
    are you going to do the C2 mod?

18. guitarded

guitarded

Oct 23, 2005
    Thanks. No, I won't be doing the C2 mod. I have a Z3, so that covers me. Plus, the C bass bridge p/u just kills. To those thinking of hacking up their Combustions, you should wait to hear it before you mod it.

Mark

19. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Nothing wrong with adding an other Combustion bridge pickup next to the stock one :)

20. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    So, I take it you are pleased with the tone? :D

Could you compare the Combustion to the Afterburner 1, especially regarding tone. I don't expect the Combustion to have the same level of fit and finish at this price point as the Afterburnder does. But, my passive AB1 was the best sounding bass I've ever owned, is it in the ballpark? Does it have a similar, "natural" tone, or does it sound more "active"?

I may be getting one of these for myself next week, but I would like to hear the thoughts of someone who has actually had an Afterburner and a Combustion in their hands.