Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall lovers, advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Jan 23, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This may be a no brainer but what the heck.
    I just got an ABI 4 a couple weeks ago, I was wavering on a 5er at the time. I have since decided to commit.
    I was going to pull the trigger on another Whale Pool Blue ABI, but then I hesitated, Maybe I want an ABII. I've done some creative bookeeping and I can swing it. I think the ABI looks better but the II is built better and active.
    Bottom line is will the II sound that much better w/ the maple body and active electronics to make it worth the extra cost?
    Dingwall has no specs for the II on his site, just the I.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The AB II is a walnut body and Bubinga top. The Aguilar OBP-1 is switchable, but you'll have no tone control if you go passive.

The reports of the ABII is that it has more complex mids and low mids, but I haven't had my hands on one. Bubinga isn't really the look I dig...My next one's gonna be a Z1 that way I get an ash body, good top and a colorful finish (plus more options)

If you can do some creative accounting, it might be an idea to save up a bit and look at some of the other models too.

3. the ABII are pomaele and wenge tops over mahogany if i recall, mahogany sounds much warmer, more middy and different than maple, plus w/ an active 2 band eq you have access to a wider palette of tones.
    Sheldon describes this the ABII as more complex sounding
    is it worth it-its what you consider "worht it". IMO you already have 75% of the dingwall tone in your ABI, the ABII will add an additional palatte

Your call really

so are you sold on the fanned frets and long scale length?

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yeah I lke the fanned fret, and my hands aren't big but my fingers are long so the scale doesn't bother me either, unless we are talking about that stretch from F to the D string 5th postion. I think you have to be an Orangatang to do that anyway, I've never had to.
    Oh yeah, I meant Walnut, I was just reading the site before I posted. Perry told me it was Walnut.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The specs are always up for debate with Dingwalls, as the website doesn't get too much TLC when it comes to being up to date. Even BC lists some as 'soft maple', which I don't think has been used for a while. It would be cool for all models to have downloadable spec sheets like the Super J...and it would be easy for updating on the web-guru's side.

I believe Sheldon bases his wood choices on what's available, yet also of good quality and good sounding.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yeah, my ABI is Alder w/ a flame maple top. BC is not the greatest at updating their web either.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've got both a ABI and II 5. I would agree, the ABII has more complex mids with a little bit more bite, but they are both really nice and sound good. The ABII also feels a little more "sexy" with the direct wood. Mine happens to be a mahogany body with bubinga top but I think Sheldon is using walnut now. Like BurningSkies says, the II has the OBP-1 but no tone shaping options when you switch to passive. I generally play it in passive.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Really, so you think the tone is just fine in passive. Is that the tone you were decribing above?

9. On my Prima 6 the tone is exactly the same between the active and passive on the OBP-3. The OBPs are also unity gain, so you don't get any more output from the bass. The only advantage is that on the AB II you'll be able to boost bass and boost treble instead of just having a passive low pass tone control.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Isn't the OBP-1 a boost only preamp though? I don't believe that you can cut either bass or treble...That's why Sheldon suggested the OBP-1 plus a vintage style passive tone roll off on my next one...that way I'll be able to boost bass but roll off the high end.

11. True. I have a typo about the bass. It is boost only up to 18 db.

You should ask Sheldon about an OBP-2. It has boost/cut on the bass (18 db) and treble (16 db).

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    OK, I'm glad I started this thread after all. What does this mean.http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_obp1.htm

It says 2 band, can I cut and boost bass and treble? And I understand the extra switch, what's the extra knob for.

Sheldon needs to update his site!

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    When I am comparing the two, I am comparing both in passive. The ABII also sounds good in active, I am just prefering it in passive at this time. I also have them both setup differently with different strings, so it is hard to compare exactly.

The extra switch is passive/active and the controls are master volume, pickup selector, bass boost and treble boost. Of course, the bluEQube (mid scoop) is the other switch.

14. It is 2-band, bass boost and treble boost, no cut on either band.

The knobs on the AB-II are volume, rotary bridge/series/parallel/neck switch, bass boost, treble boost and the active/passive switch and blueQube switch.

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I can't find the specs for my F Bass or Warwick pre-amps. It seems to me that 18db is significant, am I wrong? The pad on my Ampeg is -15db. On my practice amp it's -10db.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    18db CAN be significant...but it only refers to the bass control when cranked all the way up. I would assume that you wouldn't be doing that very often.

I wouldn't stress too much about that. I would hop over to the electronics forum and do a search on the Aguilar pre amps...you'll find lots of feedback there on the OBP series and others.

Geoff, the OBP-1 was chosen because of its tonal characteristics as I'm looking for a big warm low end...I also am interested in the 'VTC' for use in passive mode. But who know what'll end up happening.