Disappointed with DR Jonas Hellborg Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Royce Hayes, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Royce Hayes

Royce Hayes

Nov 21, 2007
    Just received JH strings from juststrings.com. Unfortunately, I did not get to try them. I think they will only work with basses with Fender-type tuners. I have a Hamer with small tuning pegs and these strings have absolutely no taper or silk at the ends. I guess they couldn't do this since there is only one outer wrap. I have used almost every other brand of string without any problems.

This shouldn't be a problem for most people with Fender-type basses, but it may affect some of you. I just threw the strings away since I already trimmed one.

BBKINGBASS likes this.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    To the best of my knowledge, none of the models of DR strings come with silk wrap - they're all pure metal. I like that look - it's one of the things I like about DRs in general.

Too bad you didn't know in advance... :meh:

MM

3. As a professional repairman/luthier with more than 25 years experience I have seen more inconsistencies with DR Strings than any other. I want my strings made by a computer controlled machine!!!!

-mike

4. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    :meh:

anyhow--i'm curious about the jh strings myself, interesting advertising

5. DR Strings

DR Strings

Feb 24, 2006
    Emerson, NJ
    Mktg. Executive, DR HandMade Strings
    so what does this have to do with no silk on the ends?

6. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Dang, I was hoping to hear something about these. The concept makes sense, I just always take magazine reviews with a grain of salt.

To the OP, is there any possible way to wind them on? Is it they won't bend that tight?

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I just took them off of a bass. Very disappointing. I was very excited about these strings. I use DR Nickel Low Riders and love, love, love them. But the Jonas Hellborg strings were weird. It's almost like some of the strings aren't straight at tension. Like there are little curved spots? The D string buzzed no matter how I changed the setup the other strings buzzed in strange random places and the tension on the E seemed to be higher than the rest. I even tried them on another bass. Same exact deal. Strange...

The feel was ok , tension felt close to high beams (except the E) and they sounded pretty good minus the buzzing. But man how very very disappointing. And FYI because of the design the strings are the same diameter from beginning to end as Royce pointed out. No problem for my hipshots.

Maybe they have some manufacturing problems to work out. I've never had a problem with the Nickel low riders. Those seem to be pretty consistant.

Andy

8. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    This thread title is very misleading since it's not actually a review. It should have said "Disappointed that I'm unable to use DR Jonas Hellborg Strings"

Isotonic and frederic b. hodshon like this.
  9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

I'd be interested to hear a few reviews. I love Hellborg, not that I'd indulge my obsession as far as to try his strings (I prefer Spector strings) but I'd like to know what they're like.

10. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Am I the only one to find this post a bit odd...
    I mean, plainly because Ive been playing for years, and have been using DRs for the last 3 years! recorded with them, done tons of gigs, and never had issues!
    Not wanting to diss computer wound strings, but I was a daddario user prior to switching and was very unhappy!they were less expensive, but turned dead on me quite sooner than DRs. I dont see the point here, you could have at least pointed out what exactly you found weird. I mean, half the professional and part-time world use DR and Rotosound, both hand wound strings, and noone sees people complaining!
    they dont all turn out the same, thats a given, but you cant go around accusing them for such inconsistencies!
    my 2c at least

11. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    +1. How much difference could there possibly be from one set to another of the same brand, even if they are hand wound? Not much is my guess. I'm a fairly new user to DR (low riders), but they are proving to be the most consistent and long lasting string for me so far.

12. SO true!! But no other company will let you talk to a human the very minute something is wrong and they will fix whatevers wrong. Even if you say its just a dead string. Even with some of the problems I do go back but I feel the pain!

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm planning on calling them tomorrow.

14. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    So how does Jonas get these strings to work with a Small tuner Warwick? :rolleyes:

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What exactly are these inconsistencies you speak of? I've been using DR strings for years, as well as many other brands of strings, and I always find myself coming back to DR Hi Beams for their tone and feel. They last incredibly long, sound great, intonate well, and play great.

What strings would you recommend to somebody over DR's?

16. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    DR was great about replacing a few dead strings for me, even when we both think it was something that was my fault.

I'll never use another brand again.

Now about the Helborg set. I read the ads about them and the idea is cool, but there's no mention to how large the core is vs. the size of the wrap. Maybe I don't understand the construction of a string fully, but does the diameter of the steel used for the wrap increase, or does the core itself increase?

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1.

I've given DR strings a bunch of tries over the years. I've been playing for 3 decades and have good common sense, and even following their instructions, I often encountered strings with a separated core. Some had separated cores fresh from the package. And I also found inconsistencies within a package where one string will be dead upon installation, etc. I'm sure I could have called and get a replacement, but who wants to go through that hassle for a string. . .

I definitely fail to see any advantages to the whole hand-made concept when it comes to strings.

I don't recall having problems with separated cores with any other string, unless I had change the strings from one bass to another a few times. (I often switch strings around bass to experiment, but the string aleways suffer in the unwinding/re-stringing process.)

18. I haven't used DR's in about 15 years and don't plan to use them again. I had lots of problems with them.

19. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    maybe im just lucky.....

as a professional player for 10+ yrs and 19yrs of playing altogether, id have to say DRs have been the most consistant brand, hands down!

to date, i have had one problem with an immediate break upon installation.....mind you im sure ive bought and used at least 100 sets. after trying all models (except those coated ones) i am a die hard high beam user.

im sure it doesnt apply to the users that have posted here, however, i have witnessed more then a handfull of seasoned players that have some smokin chops and a killer resume yet install their strings very poorly.

I use two basses for the majority of my work...both jazz 5s, passive. on one of them ive had a set of the same high beams for over a year!!!!! its my main bass in a hiphop project that gets a lot of attention (we just wraped up our first video!)....my sound has to be tight and focused yet transparent and consistant.

again, i guess im lucky.

the jonas strings....well, i dont see myself tryin em.... im happy with my high beams through n through!!!!

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Monday I contacted DR about my dead flatwound E string and today I received not only a new E string, they sent an entire set!

That's service.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021