1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discharge/Crass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Been playing some Discharge and Crass lately

Im sure the neighbors hate it

anyone else still listen to this stuff?

I swear its the best on the planet

Christ the album is great, as well is hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing

2. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    It IS the best stuff on the planet! I absolutely love Crass. I think my religion is Crass. I studied music for 4 years at University and majored in performance on Bass Guitar. In my finale year I set myself a project to dissect bass playing of Crass and Rudimentary Peni to understand why it works so well and is completely fundamental to the music as a whole. Crass wouldn't be so amazing without those chunky basslines like on "Big Hands" and "Nagasaki Nightmare". The people at the Uni kindof hated me for it because everyone else were picking snazzy jazz musicians to study or technically brilliant players and I'd show up wanting to talk about "Banned from the Roxy". But yes, life changing music and players.

The only reason I joined this board was to talk on this thread actually!

Cheers, Dan

3. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    I like music with opinions in it. - like if you don't have message - why write a song? but the bass player in me tells me to stay away from music like this - it's nowhere near the pocket - I mean I just looked up both bands on youtube - not knowing what I went into. The music seems "untight" in my ears - it might be how punk should sound - I never really was a fan of that genre. I'll give both bands codus for lyrics and subjects though

4. Now theres some bands Ive not listened to in a while!

5. Rofl thats awesome man

some people just dont get Crass. The way the music drones on and someone is singing about womens rights or nuclear bombs its just the creepiest/most haunting music ever. Then you got songs like Where next Columbus which are just straightforward songs.

Theres a minimove called "Crass There is no Authrority but Yourself" which is amazing

Id love to go to england and check out Penny's house which apparently is still open to new comers.

6. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    It isnt always tight but I don't think it has to be in this kindof music. After listening to the Feeding of the 5000 you wouldnt go up to any one of them and tell them they missed a note or played the A minor chord too soon. There's a certain amount of Zen balanced against sarcasm in the music.

Aye, Dial House is still open but Penny seem's to have become a strange kindof character. I've read the books he's written and seen some of his lectures. Although he is still fairly intelligent he does somehow lack the dry wit needed to articulate the thoughts that come through Steve's lyrics in the original Crass recordings. I was thinking of visiting Dial house but then thought better of it.

7. idk i saw him doing some spoken word stuff against turn tables but i just couldnt get into it

iunno man i bet they got some good bud and you could jam with them if they still play

at least penny?

8. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    I think their all about the beat poetry and free form jazz now, instead of beat poetry and free form punk...

They look like they might be complete stoner hippies but back in the days of Crass they wouldn't allow any contraband in the house. They said it wasn't worth the trouble if they got caught. Not sure if its still the same now but I do know that after Crass broke up there were arguments about people just smoking cigarettes in the house.

9. Not a huge Crass fan (or any of those early Brit. anarcho bands). I loved the message, but the music i couldn't get into... Conflict, Dirt, Flux of Pink Indians... couldn't get into it...

on the other hand... once the crusty d-beat was in full swing, i LOVED it... Discharge, Amebix, Anti Cimex, Disfear, Wolfpack, Framtid... man... i'm gonna go find my "All Crusties Spending One Loud Night" VHS! (Crow, Gism, Framtid, Disclose, Sex on the Beach.... the Japanese can do a meeeeean d-beat!!)

10. I listened to a lot of discharge at one stage, they are best played loud. Might have to search for that album again as it's dissapeared somewhere.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like Crass, I like Chrome, and earlier similarity even more. Folks around me were all into Discharge, but I couldn't get there. Crass I can drink beer to, Discharge...heavy trips.

12. tbassist

tbassist Supporting Member

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    The Bassist from Rudimentary Peni was one of my earliest infuences. I love his counterpoint and the way he syncopates 16th not lines

13. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    I'm actually playing a crust punk gig tonight in Durham. I'm expecting plenty crass, rudimentary peni and anti cimex t-shirts.

14. Man i miss playing in a straight-up d-beat band... p bass w/ vol and tone all the way open, sunn colliseum head w/ trebble and mids cranked, russian big muff w/ vol. and sustain cranked and the tone at 1ish... all through an old 2x15... loud n dirty!!

15. I always like Crass' message but not always the music. Discharge is a great band, but I found myself more of a Varukers kind of guy.

What band are you in Danhole?

16. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love Crass and even though I consider myself a pocket player, this music is a big influence on my playing. I love balancing stiff, angular punk parts with with more grooved out motown-meets psych-type parts.

They aren't a crusty band, but you might wanna check out Zounds.

17. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    Fight war, not wars. Destroy power, not people!

18. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    Hey Joe Victim. I play in a crust band called Winds of Genocide. Their fairly new to the scene so we don't have any decent recordings yet but we're going into the studio at the end of July. I'll probs put up links then.

19. I must say Crass did help me to shape the way I think about a lot of subjects. But most of all they convinced me to pick up Guitar and Bass at later stage as I thought I could do that too (NOT SO!) But I kept playing. Thank you Crass.
    At first the lyrics were the only importance to me in Crass' output, but later on I absolutely got into the superb bass grooves of Pete Wright, and the songs are just the most original stuff in punk you can imagine. Unbeatable!
    And yeah I put on those records every now and then again.
    Also
    The first Flux LP (Strive to survive...) also is possibly probably the best punk record ever released, production, song and lyricwise.
    Besides Conflict and Rudimentary Peni, I'd recommend SubHumAns to match the crème of UK anarchopunk. And please do check out Omega Tribe too!

20. Cool, I can't wait to check you guys out. I will hopefully be starting something myself along the lines of Choking Victim, hoping my bass licks are up to it. I guess I'll never be a "crusty", I like showers too much. ;)