1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discounts on (real) SM58s?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JohnMCA72, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I need to add a number of SM58s to my kit. I can buy them for $99 all day long, but I'm wondering if there are any discounts available anywhere. I can get Chinese counterfeits for $35-70, but that's not what I'm looking for. Anybody got a source for new, real SM58s that offers discounts?

Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    When I worked in the MI business we literally lost a few bucks on the SM58 at that price. An SM58 is something you don't want to sell. You only sell them to get people in your store or on your Web site hopefully to buy something you will profit on. Google the term "loss leader"

Unless Shure runs an authorized special, you won't find a lower price. They will all be at MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing). You will have to know somebody to do any better because they already don't make a dime on them.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If you have a dead or dying one you can send it to Shure and get a new one for $75.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    or a re-furb on the one you send in for $55 (IIRC)

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I did it about a year ago and they said they don't refurb any more. 1 deal only, new, $75. Could change though, I suppose. Thx.

6. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Since they're indestructible, I buy 'em used for $50.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    hmm.. OK.. haven't sent any in for a while now.. I guess they discontinued that pgm :(

8. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Have you called Musicians Friend or Sweetwater and asked them for a quote? I have had some success by simply asking for a discount (granted, it was on amplification, not mics). Maybe they can offer a quantity discount...when I purchased three EV Cobalt mics at Guitar Center, the salesman volunteered a quantity discount.

Are you absolutely sold on the SM58? There are some comparable mics available for less money -- the EV N/D767a, for instance, is $79.99 at MF.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have an EV, that is why I've bought the SM58s since. Sweetwater and GC both run adds from time to time, usually around holidays, where you get a boom stand and cable with the mic for (IIRC) $109.
    I buy one whenever I see the ad.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Indestructible? Yes.

Capable of being filled with some random singers spit, coughing, smoker's breath, beer spill, snot, phlegm, and all other manner of horrific things that I don't want anywhere near my mouth? Yes. :p

I only point out the last one because if you buy a microphone used it's well worth your time to clean and disinfect it if you plan on putting your mouth near it. Be careful with any foam pieces. There are very particular ways to go about sanitizing them non-destructively.

vmabus likes this.
  11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I was kind of afraid of that, but thanks anyway.