Distance from the bridge saddle to anchor point?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teppotyrvainen, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Hello,

I am proceeding with my 5-string fretless neck-through-body mag+piezo project and almost selected all the hardware.

I am going to order the upper half of the 2-piece ETS MKIII bridge (http://www.ets-hardware.com) and separate "tubes" for string-through-body installation (not in their catalog yet).

ETS as well some others have string "anchor points" in their 1-piece bridges adjusted so that after intonation is adjusted, the distance from saddle to end of the string is about the same with all strings. This should help to have same pressure on all saddles and therefore more even sound across the strings.

Now there are two questions:

Firstly, what should be the distance (in all strings) from the saddle "witness point" to the point where string goes throught the body (or through the metal plate of the 1-pice bridge)? This could be asked another way: in what angle the string should go down from the saddle?

Another question is, are there some common averages that could be used for setting the distances between the strings i.e. difference from scale length / string?

At this point I know that I could have selected an easier / more straight-forward project. ;)

I hope someone has tried this before and knows about this issue.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    There is no proper length or angle. distance runs from very short, with a steep angle, as on some fenders and others, to things like the Ritter Jupiter.

FWIW, John Hall claims that pert of the Rickenbacker sound is due to the small break angle at the bridge witness.
    Do you mean, what are typical intonation offset distances? Just go to a music store and do some measurements!
  3. Hi,

I was sure that there is no one truth in this but I was still hoping to get some examples or ready made measurements done by someone else than me. Trying to do this with an easy way ;) .